e36 328is w/ 147k miles, worth it or not? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fullyflaredd is on a distinguished road
e36 328is w/ 147k miles, worth it or not?

I recently found a 1996 e36 328is w/ 147k miles for sale. It is 5spd manual, and has a clean title. It is in pretty good condition, being that it was a mechanics personal car. He replaced the shocks, brakes, and tires recently, and hes asking 6700 for the car.

I was wondering if you guys think this is reasonable, or if I should try to negotiate. If so, what price do you guys suggest?
fullyflaredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
i'd negotiate, i got my car for $7,000 it's a 98 and it had 106k miles at the time, the interior was prestine and the engine and everything else was in good condition, i've had to replace the wear items which it seems like he's already done on time so i'd say maybe get him down to like $5,500 even a little less since it's private party, good luck! it's always nice to get mechanic's personal cars, they usually take good care of them

Last edited by SHAHAB323IS; 12-02-2007 at 08:16 AM.
SHAHAB323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I'm with Shahab, go ahead and negotiate. Even if you don't get it down to $5500 (owner may keep trying to base the price on the fact that important repairs were recently done), you should definitely pay less than $7000. My 1996 328i cost me $6000 with comparable miles back when I bought it in 2004.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 97 328i 5-speed
Photos:
Winter has a spectacular aura aboutWinter has a spectacular aura aboutWinter has a spectacular aura about
if she pleases you, buy the friggin thing...

if you track whats going on in autotrader, the price is around the going rate for similar mileage cars in excellent condition. The first time I saw mine it was sitting at a used car lot. I drove up and parked behind it. I said to myself, " damn thats a nice looking car". I had checked out several cars before going to see this one, and this specimen was light years ahead of the pieces of shit Id examined with similar mileage and bold claims of niceness. I had sat in the moldy, torn leather seat of a black coupe with broken heated seat buttons and a sunroof that didnt work, looking through the rear view mirror at the sagging headliner. And they wanted 5k for that!! But this sedan was all pristine leatherette, its dash glinting of armorall, a fresh coat of wax upon its skin and an engine so shiny I could have made a sandwich upon its valve cover and not minded eating it. I test drove it and left a message the next day with an offer 500 under the asking price. I heard nothing. A week later I went back to drive it again. The roly-poly fat uncle of the owner sat in the back seat telling me and my wife about this great Italian restaurant up the street as he guided me to a back road down by the river. All twists and turns and traffic free. Much to the wifes dismay I gear-headed it around the corners, giving the clutch and shifter a workout. Tasty stuff. This time I offered to give them their asking price, but as an 'out the door' all inclusive price. This meant tax, reg, title, conveyance fees ect included in the price. They accepted, but told me I was on my own for the small things like dead OBC bulbs. I wrote em a check. Took it home and installed my own OBC bulbs. Now I have a lit airbag light, and a check engine light. But I drive a Bmw sixty miles an hour down curvy off ramps that dowdy geezer cars only dream of doing, and dont have 600 dollar a month car payments. When you find the right car, you wont be able to resist. Give in.

~At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.~

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
whosyadadie01 is on a distinguished road
yea id try and get that down alot... i bought my 96 vert for only 5k with 140k which i thought was a steal
whosyadadie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)