BMW Werkz banner

E36 328 Factory Alarm Problems

17K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MACK_328is 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post so go easy on me. I've searched the forums for an answer but found nothing so i'm here asking for your help.

The problem i have is my factory alarm. I came home from a trip and the battery had died on the car. I recharged the battery, and ever since then the alarm no longer chirps. It used to chirp when i locked/unlocked the car and obviously sounded when the alarm was triggered. The key fob still locks/unlocks the car and the indicators flash so as to say the alarm is being activated but there is no chirpage.

Its really getting on me tits now so if anyone has any ideas i'd be greatful to hear them.

The car is a 96 E36 328i M-Tech Sport Coupe.

Thanx in advance,

DayvG

PS The attachment is of the alarm key fob, thought it might help.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
i left my car for a few weeks and got the same problem. alarm works but no sound. this is normally because the battery back-up inside the siren has gone flat. there is away of by-passing the battery backup so it works.... just waiting to find out what you do and i will let you guys know.

anything is better than having to pay bmw £70 plus fitting plus vat!

c

'N' 328i Sport Convertible (For Sale)

Attachments

#8 ·
This may work on your cars...it does on mine which is a pre-'96 factory alarm:

Pull your alarm out from behind the dash (it's a bit of a challenge to get to, but there's a FAQ on it in this forum). There are switches on the alarm to turn on/off the chirp and other options. I'm guessing that when you lost power, the electronics defaulted to chirp-off.

#9 ·
finally spoke to the guy who told me about by-passing the alarm. he now says you cant!

email:
Just contacted sigma technical and I'm afraid it can't be done (Coz of the shielded data wire). You need a Sigma SN300 siren.

the alarm's internal battery is the problem. when you let your car battery run flat it uses the battery back up until it dies. you have to buy a new siren which is a bit crap init!?!

hope ive been of help!!!

c

#10 ·
alarm update:

i got a replacement rechargeable battery which sits in the siren. went to connect it all up and the siren now works. but i hadnt connected the battery!!!

my car now happily chirps and all i did was remove the battery. you may want to try it.

to recap: remove the siren from the brackets (two nuts), remove siren housing (two screws) and disconnect the battery inside the siren (red wire on one side of battery, black wire on the otherside) stick it all back together.

this should now work, it did for me!

c

ps. if ur car blows up after trying this im not responsible! but mine works! it hadnt for almost a year!!

#11 ·
just wanted to add that i have had no problems with my alarm since disconnecting the sirens back-up battery. only downside is if someone decides to nick your car and wants to shut your alarm up by cutting the siren. because of the lack of a back-up it wil go silent.

however, if you just want to get your car chirping again its a winner!

c

#14 ·
OK....I have a question regarding the alarm system. I have a 99' 328is coupe and my alarm is possessed. Every now and then when I lock my car my alarm will go off a few hours later without anyone touching the car! I was actually out standing by it one day when it did it and unless the invisible man came and messed with the door its kind of spooky. It was perfectly quiet and I know some times a low flying plane will often make alarms go off but I live out in the sticks! Any ideas or has anyone experienced this problem?

Mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.