BMW Werkz banner

E36 325i Shuddering Problem. Please Help!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  saltshaker185 
#1 ·
Well, as the title says... my E36 manual 325i coupe has now decided to develop itself some what of a severe shudder that I think is coming from the rear somewhere... diff, tailshaft perhaps??

Now the thing that has me puzzled though is that it only starts shuddering after about 2900 rpm or above in 2nd & 3rd gears......

Any of you experienced something similar?? or perhaps maybe some suggestions on what it could be....

Any help would be really really great coz I got no clue at all as to what it could be... :p (someone has suggested to me possibly a uni joint??

Thanks

#3 ·
When dealing with a vibration that is drive line related you should look at the following in descending order (process of elimination always takes the guess work out of things):

Wheel balance (tire flat spots etc etc)
Brakes (warped discs)
universal joint on the drive shaft going to the diff
the yolk or smaller 'drive shaft' entering the diff
the seal at the diff
drive shaft balance?

If these are rules out then you need to travel forward along the drive train. towards the tranny and outwards from the diff... drive axles (sorry thats what we call those things going from diff to wheels)

Universal joint you can check by slipping underneath yor car and checking for movement between yolk and shaft.

What year is your vehicle and have you changed your clutch ever or recently? Clutch slippage sometimes reveals itself as a shudder... just a thought.

#4 ·
thx for the help people :cool:

well basically i dont know if its a noise or movement... for there to be a noise there has to be movement anyway...

now... it doesnt really seem to matter whether its hardor soft acceleration.. just anything over bout 3k rpm in 2nd & 3rd gear.

its a 92 model and i believe clutch has been replaced before but i do know that mine is stuffed and needs replacing - you think thats all it might be ??

also when you people have fixed your clutch do you get the flywheel replaced as well ??

cheers B)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.