BMW Werkz banner

E36 325I acceleration performance issues!!!

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flheat23 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 92 325i. Car has 198k on it. The problem I'm having is the acceleration(Med-Heavy) is bogging the engine down. I was reading the threads and just unscrewed the MAF and took it for a run and it pulled a whole lot better, especially in 1 & 2. But in 3 and 4 at 2200-2500 I can feel the bog through the gas pedal as if it's choking itself, and you can forget 5th unless I'm on the highway. It will get up and go, just sluggish. It seems I'm constantly downshifting more or pulling higher RPM's before the next gear to have the right power for that gear. I opened the hood and removed the dirty airfilter housing and kept the MAF unplugged and noticed when reved hard, a very very small pop in the exhaust plus a slight rich mixture smell. So, I know my MAF sensor is shot, but i'm stuck on what to do next??? At least I can pull out smoothly in 1st and 2nd with the MAF disconnected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I'm sure there are alot of Bimmer owners who have this problem and need a solid fix for it. Thanks flheat23

#2 ·
I messed around with the car today and I noticed that when I disconnected the MAF sensor unit from the intake box and placed my hand against it, the car didn't die. So it was sucking air from somewhere. So, I tightened the C-clamp on the intake hose from the throttle body and it sucked much better, then died like it should, just not quick enouph. I re-connected the MAF plug and there was a much bigger difference than like it was before. I also noticed there was a big gash in the intake hose from dryrot that I hadn't noticed. I replaced the hose and acceleration is still bogging down, but much better. I then placed a vacuum gage to the crank case breather return tube and I oly got 3-5 psi which is garbage. I guess I have to get a mechanic stethoscope and start listening for leaks and replacing hoses. That's what I think is causing the hesitation, miss, rich mixture, and small backfire from exhaust. We'll see. It's funny, I have no check engine light or rpm fluctuation.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please feel free to put your input. Thanks guys/and gals!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.