BMW Werkz banner

E36 318is Turbo

40K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  sabbath130 
#1 ·
i know that this car doesnt supply alot of power even after being turbo charged... but i own it and i want the most out of it... does anyone know where i can find a turbo KIT for this car?? thanks in advance...

#2 ·
dinancars.com ... maybe, not sure if they make one for your car.

#3 ·
Nah, nothing from Dinan.

For the 318, you're best best is the Downing Atlanta Supercharger.

http://www.downingatlanta.com/da_superchargers_info_new.htm

My friend has one, it works great, 220HP at the crank and 190lbs*ft or torque. Should put a smile on your face. It runs at relatively low psi's too so you don't have to worry about too much abuse to the motor. It puts out more power at 1000RPM than a stock motor makes at peak!

Feel free to email Jim, he's a great guy and always replies.

Here's some info taken from their website.

We have developed both 1.9 liter and 1.8 liter BMW kits available for the Z3 and 3-series automobiles. Performance from both kits is very similar, with zero to sixty mph times in the 7.0 second range and under. While we are still in the final fuel curve calibration stage, our horsepower figures thus far are over 200 hp. Fuel mileage is essentially unchanged with our test cars achieving stock highway fuel mileage. This is attributable to our unique bypass system that will be explained later in this text.

Our design consists of an Eaton sixty-two cubic inch Roots-type supercharger mounted directly onto a proprietary cast aluminum intake manifold that replaces the stock intake manifold. All of the variable intake length gizmos from BMW are eliminated - when you pressurize the intake air to over seven psi of boost, tuning tricks such as those become moot.

We use the stock belt run to drive our blower, including the stock tensioner (exception: early 318i engines). The supercharger is supported by the new manifold and by under braces that connect to the engine block. Stock items on the engine are still accessible such as the oil filter and engine dipstick.

The stock fuel injection system is used unchanged save for a DowningAtlanta-designed "downstream" fuel pressure regulator
that is boost sensitive. No chip, EPROM, or other electronic changes are necessary - an important reliability point our engineers were careful to adhere to.

Our kit is built to BMW factory standards using the highest quality materials and components throughout. Our kit is comprised of high quality castings, laser cut high grade steel brackets which are heavily zinc plated for underhood longevity, high grade silicon hoses and gaskets, high quality fasteners, stainless steel clamps. No expense has been spared in making the entire kit as solid as the car it is going on.

We use the world-renown Eaton supercharger for its superior quality, low noise levels, and superb output characteristics. In fact, we are the only company approved by Eaton to engineer and design aftermarket kits for many applications, of which our BMW kit is one. The "partnership" between Eaton and DowningAtlanta has produced some excellent kits thus far of which there are over 1,100 now in daily use around the world.

Eaton has put hundreds of thousands of superchargers on the road since the start of their factory programs five years ago. The performance and longevity data from the field is phenomenal. Units regularly exceed the 120,000 mile life target and pressure output shows no degradation over time. This sort of reputation solidly reinforced our decision to use the Eaton design over other options: No other company has the sort of hours of research and real world testing to back up their claims of performance. The last thing we wanted was to ship systems that were simply another aftermarket supercharger kit. Using similar criteria to their successful Jaguar, Aston Martin, Buick, Mercedes Benz, and Ford programs, the Eaton engineers were able to provide the perfect blower for our BMW program that would exceed all factory quality levels for longevity and performance. These special blowers have become our competitive edge in the forced induction tuning field.

Just as Mercedes has chosen to use an Eaton supercharger on their new SLK roadster, you can now increase the performance of your four cylinder engine in the same fashion. Mercedes choose to use a force induced four cylinder for weight and performance reasons, actually surpassing their six cylinder engine in power, weight, and fuel consumption targets. We are purchasing identical displacement superchargers from Eaton, and using the same factory levels of engineering, have applied it to the BMW four cylinder. Just as Mercedes has done, we have exceeded six cylinder performance levels and ended up with a better balanced automobile thanks to the lower weight penalty.

What exactly is a supercharger doing to help make more power? Your engine, as designed by BMW, relies on the downward movement of a piston in a cylinder to suck fuel and air into the combustion chamber. The limits of power come from how much mixture can be sucked in given the time allotted by an open intake valve. By pressurizing the air, more can be forced in during a given period of time. Matching this with the appropriate amount of fuel makes more power across the board.

Our kit puts out linear boost by design - it is a belt driven air pump tied to the engine's crankshaft. For each increase in engine rpm, there is a correct and proportional increase in supercharger low. This trait maintains your BMW's carefully developed "feel" as you run up the gears.

The manner in which the Eaton Roots blowers make pressure is its own trick-of-the-trade. Boost comes in very low with these units, there is no need to wait for the supercharger to "spool up" or get into its sweet spot. We are able to create 2 psi of boost at 1000 rpm. While the M series BMW engines get a lot of great press, their horsepower numbers are peak values that occur at much higher rpm levels than with the DowningAtlanta supercharger.

The key to acceleration performance is the area under the torque curve. With a boost level coming in so low and staying strong up to redline, the entire torque curve is moved drastically upward with a DowningAtlanta supercharger. At every rpm point, the engine can do more "work" (i.e. accelerating the mass of the vehicle). When you only spend a few seconds in each gear, making each rpm segment do more work means much greater and more satisfying acceleration. You will never need to wait for your engine to "get up on the cam" with this sort of system. Exiting corners from a hot apex become an instantaneous exercise in motion. You go forward right now, right when you open the throttle. Launching from a standing start begins strongly from the first rotation of the tires. Passing on the road occurs immediately - you are up to speed instantly.

Our unique bypass system loops the supercharger output back into itself under part-throttle operation, effectively cutting the supercharger off. This maintains idle quality and highway fuel mileage, and reduces engine loading. In practice, your Eaton supercharger will be "engaged" no more than 25% of the time on your BMW, even with spirited driving. This is opposed to all other supercharger applications that drain power 100% of the time. This bypass system greatly reduces the load on your engine and drivetrain - you produce power only when you ask for it with the gas pedal.

We relocate your throttle upstream of the supercharger. We have the only kits on the market with this sophisticated feature combined with the bypass system. When you close the throttle, you are starving the blower for air, minutely controlling the amount of power you need or don't need. With a throttle downstream of the blower (as some manufacturers do), a closed throttle jams the supercharger with high pressure shock waves and spiking boost levels. If you immediately crack open your throttle after shutting it in this sort of system, the traffic jam of air between your blower and throttle can cause chronic driveability problems. We move the throttle upstream as a better solution. All of Eaton's factory systems utilize this same upstream throttle and bypass system for perfect levels of driveability and performance.

We have created dedicated fuel management schemes that perfectly match the needs of the BMW engine under boost. This is one of the most critical areas for a supercharger designer. Pushing in more air can be a matter of plumbing, up to a point. Meeting that air with the proper amount of fuel is a very complicated task, one that we performed on over hundreds of hours in our lab. Before you buy a kit, inquire about the test procedures used to validate the kit maker's fuel maps. Few have the resources to perform advanced engine dyno work or intensive on-road instrumentation, most rely on "seat of the pants" testing and some simple mathematical formulas.

Unlike a turbocharger, the Eaton supercharger does not contribute to underhood heat. Our kit only increases the intake charge air by 69 degrees even when underhood temperatures are over 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Because our supercharger is hung off of the engine in a position that receives large amounts of airflow, our total system efficiency is very high. It is not a stretch to state that the Eaton supercharger in our application acts as a sort of intercooler itself. We did not need to add the expense or complication of a flow-through intercooler and the loss of boost that comes with its use.

Our BMW kit installs in a straightforward fashion. The major component to be replaced is the stock intake manifold. No drilling or welding is required. The only part of your BMW that will be modified from stock is a housing box that the engine wiring harness routes through (no wires will need to be cut). A realistic length of time to install this kit yourself is from four to six hours. Some folks take all day, others might do it in two hours. If you are paying a mechanic to do it, budget five hours since he will need to spend some time checking out your car first.

When considering adding any performance item to your BMW, ask the manufacturer how many he has sold or has in stock. We build for large production runs of at 50 to 100 pieces of each part. This requires that our designs are well thought out and functional. Many companies in the aftermarket literally hand-make each part as orders come in. This may sound quaint and craftsman-like, but the variation in kit to kit is creating nightmares for the installers and owners.

We are geared up for high volume production which means a well proven and trouble free system will be under your hood. You won't be driving around with "Prototype #21" under your hood, playing test engineer for free for the kit maker.

Some final notes: The DowningAtlanta 1.8/1.9 liter BMW supercharger kit is undergoing certification to be 50 state legal by the EPA and California Air Resources Board. The supercharger unit comes with a full one year replacement warranty. Eaton blowers regularly exceed a life of 120,000 miles. No maintenance is required for our kit or for the supercharger itself.

We hope this review of our kit is helpful in your decision making process. Thanks for your interest! If you have any questions about the DowningAtlanta Supercharger, call us at 770-457-BMW2.

#5 ·
Yeah the pricing is a bit steep if you ask me.
God why is stuff for a Beemer so darn expensive compared to other cars.
I think I'm just going to wait for this motor to blow then get an M3 motor.
Its just not worth it

#6 ·
Originally posted by Dinan 95@Sep 28 2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah the pricing is a bit steep if you ask me.
God why is stuff for a Beemer so darn expensive compared to other cars.
I think I'm just going to wait for this motor to blow then get an M3 motor.
Its just not worth it
[snapback]200692[/snapback]​

how much is the S/C?

#7 ·
I don't get why you guys think it's steep.

It's $3400USD and it keeps the same weight as the 4 banger.

With an M3 engine swap you would have to change almost everything, gear box, diff, computer, suspension and sway bars, exhaust, custom engine mounts, clutch kit, etc. You're looking at over $10,000 to do a proper job of swapping in an M3 motor, that's just parts and if absolutely nothing else goes wrong. Aside from that, who knows how good a used M3 motor is? What happens if something goes wrong and you have to rebuild it? I would never swap the 6 cyl motor into my car for reliablity issues and insurance frustrations. I would pick the DASC, there's nothing else to replace and maintainence is low too. You also keep the same weight. It's made for this car so there's no confusion on how to install it. $3400 is very resonable for a supercharger kit. BMW or not.

#9 ·
Originally posted by docrobot@Sep 28 2004, 11:53 AM
It says it will take you down to less than 8 seconds 0 - 60. That would put you in the same performance area as my '92 325i was when it was new.

How long does it take you to do 0 - 60 MPH now?
[snapback]200713[/snapback]​
The ad says less than 7 seconds, not 8.

It depends which 1.8/1.9 you own. The Z3 is heavier, the ti is lighter than the rest, and the automatic version is significantly slower. A stock 318 will run about 8.8 seconds stock (5 speed).

A supercharged ti will run about 6.5 seconds or faster. My friend's S/C'd 318is keeps up with modified 328's (M3 cams, M50 manifold, software, etc).

#11 ·
One day I was at Auto Zone and I parked my 325i next to an m3, I met the vato who owned the ride and we went for a cruise. First we went in his and then in mine. I noticed his had just a little bit more performance than mine. I figured probably because his is a 96 and mine is a 92 with about 90 lbs of stereo in the back and because his is an m3. Though looking under the hood I couldn't tell one difference. What is the difference between a 325i and an m3?

#16 ·
3152 cc to be exact for the displacement of a 96 m3. Just trying to sound like a smart ass again, j/k :rolleyes: :joking:
But seriously, that guy in the m3 must not be pushing it then. I mean when you get in a car with a difference of 50hp (240-189) I'm sure you'll feel something.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Sep 28 2004, 11:52 AM
I don't get why you guys think it's steep.

It's $3400USD and it keeps the same weight as the 4 banger.

With an M3 engine swap you would have to change almost everything, gear box, diff, computer, suspension and sway bars, exhaust, custom engine mounts, clutch kit, etc. You're looking at over $10,000 to do a proper job of swapping in an M3 motor, that's just parts and if absolutely nothing else goes wrong. Aside from that, who knows how good a used M3 motor is? What happens if something goes wrong and you have to rebuild it? I would never swap the 6 cyl motor into my car for reliablity issues and insurance frustrations. I would pick the DASC, there's nothing else to replace and maintainence is low too. You also keep the same weight. It's made for this car so there's no confusion on how to install it. $3400 is very resonable for a supercharger kit. BMW or not.
[snapback]200712[/snapback]​
Isnt the atlanta sc over 5000 dollars??,,its true you will need new exhaust and possibly suspension..but i plan on doing full supersprint and coilovers with all original suspension pieces changed out, regardless if i get the m engine or not.. you can get the m3 motor for 6 with an option for performance clutch upgrades for an extra 2hundy..which only leaves the computer, tranny(salvaged m3?) and diff(probly want an aftermarket one anyway)..to me its worth it..but if you just wanted the simple bolt on, hell yea that sc would be nice..youd still probly be getting beat by 1.8ts, srt4s, etc..no one ever said building an ill car was gonna be cheap

#20 ·
Originally posted by eskiasu@Sep 28 2004, 01:08 PM
3152 cc to be exact for the displacement of a 96 m3. Just trying to sound like a smart ass again, j/k :rolleyes: :joking:
But seriously, that guy in the m3 must not be pushing it then. I mean when you get in a car with a difference of 50hp (240-189) I'm sure you'll feel something.
[snapback]200772[/snapback]​
Are you a Punjabi or a Sikh? Or did you just find that picture amusing?

#21 ·
It's not just HP, it actually gives you a crap load of torque! The stock M42 motor puts out only 129lbs*ft of torque. The SC gives it 190!

Anyways, that's what's going in my car next summer. So you guys can swap M3 motors all you want. But for what you get in the end, it'll be a waste of money. You're better off selling your car and buying an M3, so you'll get more than just the motor. It'll save you money and hassles in the long run. I've been spending a lot of time ripping things out of the car reducing it's weight, why would I want to make it heavier again?

If you've got an M50/M52, go for the M3 motor swaps. With the 318, it's a waste of time and a huge headache. Just think about how the 318 motor is mounted, you think the M3 motor will bolt right on? Think again.

Bry

#22 ·
yea so many possibilitys with these cars im rethinking stuff every 10 minutes..it might just be better to keep the four banger, get the blower some good pullies and a good chip to knock the boost up a little and some internals ..Point taken

#23 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Sep 28 2004, 03:01 PM
Anyways, that's what's going in my car next summer.
[snapback]200817[/snapback]​
I knew it! Let me know how the reliablity is with it and everything. I've been contemplating a high compression 3-0L rebuild and a supercharged 2.8 or 2.9. The thing that sells me on the supercharged engine is the torque. But I think all in all a high compression 3L would hold up better up top with less issues.

#24 ·
Originally posted by 1992_325i+Sep 28 2004, 11:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1992_325i @ Sep 28 2004, 11:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-El Presidente@Sep 28 2004, 12:22 PM
.7L of displacement, beefier suspensions, upgraded parts.
[snapback]200735[/snapback]​
what is displacement?
I know the measurement for liters, like on mine a 2.5 liter engine, is the total of the area of the cylinders. Are you saying that an m3 is a 3.2 liter engine (2.5 + .7)?
[snapback]200763[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]depends what yr the m3 was. the 95 was only a 3.0l but it was OBD-1

#25 ·
Autotechnica... do you work for the company that sells/ distibiutes that S/C?? if so... can u help me get one? what quarter mile time can i expect with this S/C installed on a OBDII 318is 5-speed, with CAI, and exhaust? what modifications do i need other than the S/C itself?? it said something about the intake manifold but IDK... what kind of exhaust is suggested with this S/C?

#26 ·
Kev,

Gotta do a leakdown/compression test first. My aging motor may need a rebuild.

sabbath130,

They sell for $3800USD + shipping, but I have connections to get them for $3400 shipped. Basically the kit will include everything you need, the S/C, the intake manifold, all the mounts, brackets and fuel regulators, etc. You can make further modifications in the future to further improve performance. Exhaust is your choice, there are no recommendations. It does recommend you use the stock computer chip or stock software programming. The reason behind that is the air is being sucked in too quickly, so the computer doesn't know how to properly tune for air/fuel mixture. You would probably need to buy an A/F ratio gauge and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to properly tune your A/F ratio. Other than that, you're pretty much set.

Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.