e36 318is blown fuses now acting weird! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stubo79 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e36 318is blown fuses now acting weird!

Hi, i have a problem with my 318is coupe which was running fine up until a few days ago. The fuse for the instrument cluster and rear driver side tailight and reg light blew. SO i changed the 10amp fuse and all was fine for an hour or so, then it happened again, so i changed the fuse again.

Then when i got home i removed the key from the ignition and the car was still running!! I had to stall it to stop the engine and then the ll the lighst and the fans were still working! I opened the bonnet and checked the fusebox to find the fuse that ihad replaced had melted! once i removed they melted fuse the electrics stopped and the car would start and stop as normal...now the weird bit... with that fuse removed the instrument cluster is constantly on even when the lights arent on, and the central locking and electric windows have stopped working even though the fuse for these has not blown.

Dont want to spend money on an expensive auto electric ian, can anyone help?? Its a nightmare with no windows in the summer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You're looking for a short, and evidently, a fairly serious one.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the quick response.

Theres more to this... when i removed the melted fuse i checked the fusebox and the wire that connects to the fuse had melted to another cable, once i removed them and insulated them thats when the windows/central locking stopped working. The car starts and stops as normal and all the lighst work as normal now, but without that fuse,

where else can i look to see where the short is? Excuse my ignorance but is a short easy to fix?

Many thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Neutral Member

darksigno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to darksigno
it might end up cheaper to take it to an auto electrician to be honest my dad had it happen in a 2006 camry the rear tail lights and the windows aswell stopped working, we replaced the fuses the lights and wires for the windows and it all ended up fusing back togeather and we spent as much trying to fix it as we would have done to see an auto electrician in the end so yea unless u got someone who u kno is an auto electrician its gonna cost u regardless even with help from ppl on here cause the whole trial and error system u will have to use to fix it, but then again if ur good and lucky u might get it first go so yea
#5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
mite just have to bite the bullet and get an auto electrician in, anything past the fuse box is beyond me!!

I thought beemers where reliable!!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Neutral Member

darksigno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to darksigno
well they r but its just one of those things, aus camrys r damn well reliable i kno of a 1995 camry with ova 400,000km on the dial i got photos on my phnoe to prove it and its neva happened to it but its happened to a newer model camry so yea for somethin like that is just one of those things like a cracked rim or a stone going straight through ur windscreen, u cant explain it and it will cost professional hepl to fix it so yea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)