BMW Werkz banner

E36 1994 - engine will not start

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  basrite 
#1 ·
hi guys this is my first time on a forum so i applogise if im doing it wrongand im sorry im not mechanically minded so i appologise if im not using mechanical lingo.
i have a BMW 318i 1994 E36 m43 (chain) sohc ... ive just had the engine rebuilt and the engine is fine but every time i turn the key to start it nothing happens no noise is coming from the engine ... lights work and so does wondows everything electrical works so i assume the battery is fine. but nothing is making an noise in the engine bay .. ive checked the fuses all fine and im stuck for ideas ... could it be the starter motor ?

thanks for any help anyone can offer

#2 ·
Well.... you have a very vage discription here. You should Probably start with wiring... if your starter is wired up correctly to your ignition then you should atleast here it try to turn over. unless your engine is locked up. If it is locked up then you should atleast hear a click sound of some sort. Start from the last step you took when completing this build and work your way backwords and go over every step SLOWLY. If your not the one that did this build then i would make the machanic Fix it....

#3 ·
yeah im sorry that it is vauge. i rang BMW yesturday they said it is either the power wire that goes into the Starter motor is shorting out, or the ignition relay has gone, or the Starter motor has died completley.

if that doesnt work (replacing the relay) or checking the wiring ill send it back to the mechanic.. thanks for your help :)

#5 ·
hi i got the same prob as you , turn my key ignition key lights go dim , i have a auto 318is m3 rep 1996 , and to get it started i have 2 have a jump start and the other car has 2 be started to make mines start , how did u fix yours n where is the starter motor relay..? thanksss ssss

#6 ·
A dimming and no click usually means the starter solenoid is gone.

Does it whir at all? If not, its the windings that have failed, otherwise the solenoid engagement.

The process is as follows:

Turn key
Computers says yes (later EWSII can say no if incorrect key)
Power is sent to the relay
Relay then trips sending power to the starter
The solenoid trips (electromagnet) and engages the shaft with the flywheel
This in turn creates the switch for the main motor shaft to turn

A click click usually means there isn't enough juice to turn the motor but the rest works fine, or the starter has fused windings

No click you would start with the solenoid, then work back to the relay, then back to the ignition.

Step by step and really annoying.. done it many times (used to own fords).

J.

#8 ·
Right took battery out last night fully charged it
put it in car fired up 1st time , turned it off fired up again so,
went round the block gave it a rev before
parking up then tryed starting again nothing (now car is at normall temp)
, so removed battery check the wire what goes to the starter moter , seems all good , could it be the relay shorting out wen the car is warm ?
its not the battery cause i put it back in my other car no problems , ignition seems fine no slackness there , tryed a different bmw key in the barrel to check if its gone and no problems there , but i dont get why it starts when my battery is fully charged ? thankss

#10 ·
With the engine just rebuilt it will be tight. Requires more power to crank.

Agree with vincent.. when you get it started, check the voltage at the battery to make sure the alternator is recharging.. should be about 14.3-14.8 volts.

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.