BMW Werkz banner

E36 1992 325i IDLE PROBLEMS????????!!!!!

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hodges76 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1992 325i that ran fine until about 4 months ago. The car started dying at idle, when it is moving I have no problem. It has no pattern sometimes it idles ok but still just a little rough. So I decided to take the car to a dealership. First they replaced the plugs and promised this would fix my problem, but it did not. Then I took it back and they replaced my ICV, I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before it died again. Next they told me it was the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). I found one on e-bay (used) for a fraction of the price and it still didn't fix the problem. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO! Could it be the oxygen sensor? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
DERREK

#2 ·
the dealership miss-diagnosed the car and didnt fix the problem? damn i would have lost it on them. usually i would have said MAF but if you got that covered. do me a favor. check the intake elbow. on the bottom should be i think two air tubes. make sure they are on nice and snug. (im really not sure if its two because i have a 6cly)

now if that seem clear. take off the intake elbow and check for blockage in one of the tubes.

thats a start, i cant think of anything else right now. all i can say is take it back to the dealership and complain.

good luck and welcome to BWM-forums.

#6 ·
It could also be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. Either the gasket or the intake itself could be cracked. If that is the case it would do it all the time. I had a similar problem but mine would surge up and down at idle only when warm or at normal operating temps. Turns out it was my Mass Air Flow Sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.