BMW Werkz banner

e-brake issue

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Kevin325i 
#1 ·
Lately I've noticed that when I try to e-brake at around 20mph, it doesn't lock up the tires right away. As a matter of fact, it comes to stop but gradually and not immediate. (I was curious that's why I did it) I then try at lower speeds, like 10, and it's the same. At rest, the car doesn't move so I know it's working. Any idea what could cause this? Anyone else has this happen? Is it fixable? Is it because it RWD?

#2 ·
Originally posted by eskiasu@Sep 16 2004, 05:18 PM
Lately I've noticed that when I try to e-brake at around 20mph, it doesn't lock up the tires right away. As a matter of fact, it comes to stop but gradually and not immediate. (I was curious that's why I did it) I then try at lower speeds, like 10, and it's the same. At rest, the car doesn't move so I know it's working. Any idea what could cause this? Anyone else has this happen? Is it fixable? Is it because it RWD?
let me ask a stupid question.. why the hell would you pull your e brake at 20 MPH or even 10? It is a PARKING brake by the way, becuase the reality is for the last oh 30 years or so dualk circuit master cylinders have been used in case a brake line ruptures you will still get full braking from at least one front and one rear brake, which i promise you will be much more powerful than your parking brake, which is a mechanical drum brake with cable actuation.

Oh yeah to answer your question... it could be in need of adjustment, or more likely since you thought it would be fun to try to use it as a real brake you wore out the pads, which you now have to replace. Oh and by the way... they are considerably hard to do than disc brakes...lol

that will teach you to screw around with stupid stuff like using the parking brake... come on tell the truth you were trying to dukes of hazzard spin out in your beemer wern't you....lol

#4 ·
you should definately try the ebrake at around 40, useing it at 20 isn't going to give you any advantages that you didn't already have. And remember you just pull the brake up as hard as you can and then push it back down. None of this holding crap unless it catches immediatley. And make sure that when you adjust it, it is balanced or else you'll have a lot of fun next time you pull the e-brake.

#5 ·
Originally posted by nycbmw325is@Sep 16 2004, 05:34 PM
....which i promise you will be much more powerful than your parking brake, which is a mechanical drum brake with cable actuation.

Oh yeah to answer your question... it could be in need of adjustment, or more likely since you thought it would be fun to try to use it as a real brake you wore out the pads, which you now have to replace. Oh and by the way... they are considerably hard to do than disc brakes...lol

Dreeddd.... i can't believe dat both of you jumped on the man like that tho :-|...

To the best of my knowledge (and this is from close inspection of my 325)... my car has disc brakes(with cable acutuation) ... not mechanical drum brakes with cable actuation as nycbmw325is stated...

anyhow... to address eskiasu... what i believe that you are doing is trying to start a slide, which you would most likely have end in a donut... I had a old RWD toyota starlet a few years back, which had rear drum brakes... you cannot get the rear tyres to lock with the handbrake(HB) in a manual RWD if you have the clutch engaged, if you do lock the rear tyres with clutch engaged... the engine will cut out....

However when i wanted to start my slide, i would dip the clutch thereby disengaging the engine from the rear wheels, steer in the direction that i want to do my donut in and then pull the HB to lock the back tyres to start my slide.... I'd then rev the engine, drop the HB and re-engage the clutch, this would cause the rear tyres to loose traction (think of burning rubber from a stoplight) and continue the donut

N.B. the starlet had rear drum brakes, not disc brakes... and it is much easier to lock the rear tyres w/ drum brakes viz disc brakes...

I havent tried to use the HB to start a slide/ donut in my 325is.... i just turn in the direction i want to spin, rev and then drop the clutch abt 3grand... beautiful i say!...

Remember donuts put loads of strain on ur diff, gearbox, blah blah blah...

Hope this was helpful

#6 ·
First of all, I mainly did it because I was curious as to how well my EB is, not exactly fun. I did realize the potential wear of my pads, gear box. etc. so I did it like 2-3 times not 10 or so nor regulary. Thanks kjlbryan for clearly explaining to me whats going on and backing me up.

#7 ·
Originally posted by eskiasu@Sep 19 2004, 07:23 PM
First of all, I mainly did it because I was curious as to how well my EB is, not exactly fun. I did realize the potential wear of my pads, gear box. etc. so I did it like 2-3 times not 10 or so nor regulary. Thanks kjlbryan for clearly explaining to me whats going on and backing me up.
Ok man... i am glad you got the answer you wanted to hear... but your boy that told you that he closely inspected the rear brakes is WRONG. Some BMW's seemed to use rear drums.. (i am guessing the 318 TI) However the majority are rear disks, however unlike many of the four wheel disc brake japanese cars with an additional actuation mechanism that mechanical applies force to the regular pads as an e-brake, BMW chose to go with a seperate drum set up. This is through at least 1997. So...

You can beleive what and who you want, but I say that his close inspection that determined he has disc e-brakes meant he looked at the rear brake while his mechanic had a wheel off. I can tell you that I have had all the parts in my hand and have CHANGED the rear e-brake pads on 2 BMW's and also confirmed the applicable years with a haynes manual. I dont talk shit, and I dont guess at things when other peoples money or lives ar at stake. and i DONT make mistakes when it comes to cars that i personally own.

So i am now waiting for a reply....

#8 ·
I didnt think I said anything to offend anyone did I? If I did, my bad. Also, I rarely ever say anything bad about anyone igving me any insight, if someone takes thier time to write back, Im not going to bash them. I have disk so I dont think drums would matter much to me. Yet your anwser doesnt really explain my initial question; is there something wrong with it or is it normal?

#9 ·
guys, for the parking brake thing, you are ALL WRONG.

the parking brake doesnt use the brake pads. it is soemthing behind the rotor, and they are called Parking Break SHOES. it works exactly like a drum except it is behind the rotor, and in order to get to it you have to take off the rotor. he might have worn out the shoes, but not the pads. And, how fast did u pull it up? did u do it gradually, if u want them to lock u gotta pull it up pretty fast as if ur trying to break it

#10 ·
Yes, there is something wrong with it. You have worn the pads. You must re-adjust the cable to get the same braking force as before because there is less material.

#12 ·
Originally posted by xsperf@Sep 19 2004, 11:46 PM
guys, for the parking brake thing, you are ALL WRONG.

the parking brake doesnt use the brake pads. it is soemthing behind the rotor, and they are called Parking Break SHOES. it works exactly like a drum except it is behind the rotor, and in order to get to it you have to take off the rotor. he might have worn out the shoes, but not the pads. And, how fast did u pull it up? did u do it gradually, if u want them to lock u gotta pull it up pretty fast as if ur trying to break it
All of us wrong huh? did i not explain in several earlier responses that rear disc BRAKES (not breaks) on BMW's use a SEPERATE drum and brake shoes or pads (newsflash the terms are used interchangably through the industry) on a mechanically actuated mechanism? Do i need to cut and paste a freaking diagram ? Once again..It is kinda of annoying to have to defend something i have actually done against someone who has once seen a picture of something but has never held a wrench in in their hand and thus has no clue. And if the original poster thinks pulling his parking brake at 20 mph is a good idea... great, then let him figure out how to repair his car after doing what is quite frankly a stupid thing.

#13 ·
lol sorry. i just read the first few posts and posted... my bad, u are right then\

and for ur info, i probably work on cars more than u do..

my bad about the mistake, but "someone who has never held a wrench in their hand" ok dude just quit trying

#14 ·
wow... nyc... u get hyped quickly nuh lol... dred.. i can imagine you hopping around thinking "...these amateurs..." and since when did this become a spelling contest... :-| the man point of a language is to communicate your point... (usually clearly but what about dialects :p)..

Anyhow... i agree w/ nyc in that yanking the HB is potentially damaging to the mechanism... but hey all in the name of fun rite...

Alrite... have a good day all :lol:

#15 ·
This reminds me off my jeep.... oh the good old days of rear drums. My dad and I were going to adjust them to work normally with the handbrake up then when you put the hand brake down the rears are misaligned so the fronts lock. Mmmm burnout city. Old school car trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.