DyI ...hydrographics - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Minez210 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
DyI ...hydrographics

Hey guys! Well here it is, my hydrographics dipping kit from Water Transfer Imaging Dip Kit - MyDipKit .

Untitled by Minez210, on Flickr
I chose to use "morning wood camo" it caught my attention with all the ladies lol.

Ok first off, let me say how straight forward and easy mydipkit makes this. They're kits consist of:
1 meter if film pattern of your choice
4 aerosol cans, 1 primer, 1 base coat paint (color varies with each kit), 1 activator, 1 high performance clear coat
face mask, scuff pad, gloves

Ok first things first. You must clean your wheels off good. I Took the rims to the car wash and brushed, power soap, and power washed them to get everything off.
My wheels were painted black so i took a thick grit sand paper and scuffed everything up.

Before the next step I rinsed off the rims once more to get all the debris off from all the scuffing .

Next up, pull out the primer. The kit came with a can of clear primer. Don't forget to shake ur spray cans good for at least a minute. Spray in even misting coats at a 8"-12" away till fully covered,.

Fotochop.jpg by Minez210, on Flickr
Allow an hour or two for it to set and dry.
Now that that has dried, get out your base coat (included in kit) . Mine came with white, but i was told by Water Transfer Imaging Dip Kit - MyDipKit that aslong as i use a high performance paint i can use any color. I chose to just use what was in the kit since it was my first time trying this product.
Spray your rim in a misting manner 8-12" away evenly across a don't forget to get in at all angles as to not miss a spot.

Allow the paint to dry 1-2 hours. Meanwhile, now's a good time to find a container to do your dipping. It was a little hard to find something big enough for my rims. Then saw my Brute trash cam to be perfect. Your going to want a container that's not too much bigger than the part you will be dipping. Because the film does expand, if it's to large of a container the film will expand too much and skew the pattern. So choose wisely. Fill with warm water. Best temperature is water ranging from 65- 80

Ok , my wheels are ready to be dipped at this point. Cut out the appropriate size of film for your part. I placed the film over the rim and cut around it for my perfect sized sheet.
Take your cut out sheet and hold it from 2 edges and hold it in the shape of a taco". Placing it in the water GENTLY from the center of the sheet letting it lay out to the edges. Allow the film to sit on the water for 60 seconds.

At this point get your "Activator and spray in a Z motion across the film at a distance of 12"-14". Spray in a Z motion from left to right then in a N motion. . Be careful as too much activator will cause the pattern to sink. Which you do not want. After the activator is sprayed allow 15-20 seconds to elapse . NOW YOUR READY TO DIP!
Hold your rim face down and start to submerge it at a slight angle as to let air bubbles escape. TAKE IT SLOW . Once you've submerged the entire face of the rim, WHILE STILL SUBMERGED wiggle and mildly shake the rim as to knock off the excess and clear the surface water. Pull the rim out. Allow 10 minutes to elapse then get warm water and pour over rims to clean off the chemical residue. Do not proceed till it is fully rinsed off.

After the rinse allow to dry at room temperature. Be sure not to touch the dipped area as to not smudge or smear the image.

After they have dried you are ready for your clear coat. Spray the clear in even passes. Let each coat set up for at least 1-2 hours in room temperature before applying another coat. Apply coats to desired finish.

Once the top coat is dry your part is ready for use. However, the part will fully cure in EST 12 days. So you will want to take it easy on the part until this time. . In my eyes it feels like it is perfectly safe to use after 2 days.

Thumba_2011-12-27_00-51-29.jpg by Minez210, on Flickr

Minez's e36 with freshly "dipped" camo m5 wheels by Minez210, on Flickr

This being my first time ever using this product I did get a few little air bubbles. But none the less I am super happy with my end results. The key to dipping properly is to have steady angled steady paced dip. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Neutral Member

ncktuley1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
dude. sorry for the language. but that is pretty badass.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yea. I have alot of other interior parts I want to dip carbon fiber or something. Maybe plaid . Idk yet
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
I havent seen anything like that before.

Riding in style
#5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I believe it's only in the states. . Due to chemicals in the kit it is not allowed to ship via air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)