BMW Werkz banner

Drl Headlamp Relay Problem (daytime Running Light)

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mech9T8 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, it's my first post on this forum.

I got a 1996 328is, and having problem on hi-beam.

Here is the problem :

when in normal light mode (turn the light switch once), I can turn on the hi-beam, and I can see it works from inside the car.

when in night light mode (turn the light switch all the way), I turn the hi-beam, it doesn't work, nothing change at all. (But the blue indicator in the dash is ON).

I went to the bmw dealer for a diagnose (with other problem too, so it's not as expensive), they think it's a relay problem. Here is what they put on my bill :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMPLAINT : Check and report reason headlamps won't switch to high beam when headlamp switch is on : Inner Lamps are on when in DRL position but not in Headlamp position. Has tried replacing bulbs but same result

CAUSE : Diagnose condition - Trace to DRL HEAD LIGHT RELAY

CORRECTION : Need DRL H/Lamp Relay - S = $181.00 (canadian dollar here)
Lab to install = $34.4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sure I know what they say, fix there for a few hundred bucks!! which I won't do that.

I tried to look for information on that DRL relay part, and the exact location of it, or the instruction on fixing.....but no luck.

Anyone can help so that I can DIY this??

PS : I think (not sure) that the DRL Headlight Relay is different from the relay in the fuse box.

Thanks for any help !!

1996 328is
only cold air intake and brighter fog light for now.
:blink:

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by Cruzin 323is@Jan 17 2005, 08:08 PM
why do u have day time running lights anyway in an e36... unless u have ellipsoids...??
[snapback]273687[/snapback]​
hum.....I don't know ! I am in Canada, does it make a different?
I didn't mod anything to the light, it's all from factory.

and about that DRL headlight relay that need to replace, I was just told by the dealer, I have no idea.........

#6 ·
It is the law in Canada that all vehicles (from the late 80's onward I think) have daytime running lights. It is actually illegal to disable them. It's been proven that they help prevent accidents.

As for the module, I saw an article that showed how to convert to DRL and the guy mentioned the module was about $80 US which is about $100 CAD.
Check out the link:

Link

As for installation, do it yourself, it should be plug and play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.