drive train vibration - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I get a small, but noticable, vibration while accelerating. I really only notice it when I'm busting ass down an on ramp. It stops as soon as I stop accelerating.

Is it the infamous guibo disc? I've got a 97 328is with 120K and it's probably never been replaced. I know the disc itself is pretty cheap, how hard is it to replace(especially with out a ramp or jack stands)? Could any joe-smoe repair shop replace it?
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
You need a jack and jackstands to get to it. It's a lot of unbolting, rotate the shaft a bit, unbolt, rotate the shaft a bit..... Not that hard, it's nice to have a buddy to sit in the car and move the transmission from neutral to a gear to hold the output shaft in place while your torque on the bolts, otherwise your going in and out from under the car a whole bunch.
The guibo could be the cause of this, sounds like it since when the guibo is worn out & cracked it's weight is no longer eavenly distributed and when you apply lots of torque to it, it gets worse since it flexes.
To check it, all you gotta do is lift up the car some and take a look at it, if you see cracks in it or CHUNKS missing, then replace it. Sometimes only one side of the guibo is torn up, so be sure to examine it thoroughly.

This could be caused by something else, but check it anyways since it's a common cause of vibration when accelerating.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ya, it seems like the most logical cause. Did you replace yours? If you did, what did the car feel like while driving it.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
I didn't do it, But I did stay in a holiday inn express last night...

no really, heh, I have read a few tutorials on it and know what's going on.

Jilphan did it, or one of the guys with a green 3 series. Do a search on guibo (or however it's splled) and find the thread where there's pics of the green 3 series and the guy holding up the guibo with one good side and one RELALY BAD SIDE.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
100% guibo/flex disc
xsperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xsperf@Sep 1 2004, 11:15 PM
100% guibo/flex disc
And GOD has spoken... again. When will some people learn... A car has thousands of interdependant moving parts, and NO ONE can every state with 100% certainty from a few words of a description of a problem that anything is 100 Percet caused by ABC. Stop your %^%^&* know it all attitude for the benefit of everyone. you l;ose credibility this way not gain it
nycbmw325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Sep 1 2004, 08:15 PM
I get a small, but noticable, vibration while accelerating. I really only notice it when I'm busting ass down an on ramp. It stops as soon as I stop accelerating.

Is it the infamous guibo disc? I've got a 97 328is with 120K and it's probably never been replaced. I know the disc itself is pretty cheap, how hard is it to replace(especially with out a ramp or jack stands)? Could any joe-smoe repair shop replace it?
Now this is sweet....

This post is from the guy who declared yesterday that some poster's problem was "100% his starter" "end of story" Well he must know becuase he clearly reads alot becuase check this out.. Oh damn i can barely type I am laughing so hard..

THIS GUY DOESN'T OWN A RAMPS OR JACKSTANDS !!!!
ghead ghead ghead ghead

HE ISN'T A SHADETREE MECHANIC.. because even shadetree mechanics have tools . Furtherermore... he has this weird vibration and asks if it is his guibo.. somrthing a VISUAL inspection would determine in seconds, yet he knows for sure it is a starter from a sketchy description from a self admited neewbie...

You have NO credibility, or mechanical aptitude or experience based on your posts.

n

Oh and i am waiting for some people to defend this guy...probably the same ones that advise everyone to bring their cars to the mechanic right away before the engine overheats and melts the transmission to the differential and then you have to throw the whole car away all because your interior got soo hot because your AC didn't work ...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
and you can suck my cock. I have zero space for any tools, and they all had to go when I moved to NY.

So please begin licking the salt off of my nut sack now.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Sep 2 2004, 12:39 PM
and you can suck my cock. I have zero space for any tools, and they all had to go when I moved to NY.

So please begin licking the salt off of my nut sack now.
I had zero space for any toos when i moved to new york?

No room in the trunk for a toolbox? No self respecting mechanic ever gives up all his tools unless he or she has been incarcerated. I know guys that would eat rice and sell their TV before not having tools.

Face it you dont know shit about cars except for what you have read.

But I will tell ya what... since we both live in new york why dont we pick a nice quiet place to meet and and will lend you some of my tools. In particularly, I was thinking of a 3 foot long 10 lb 3/4 inch drive rachet.. buried in your foul mouth.

You want to be foul mouthed jerk... thats cool.. but I think it would be oh so much more fun to hear you in person. So here goes you little punk as bitch.

I will meet you any time in the NYC area to "discuss" any issues you have. so put up or shut up you pathetic little dickhead.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I just filled my car up and got the afternoon off from work, where do you live?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
why are you giving me shit, you started this whole bitch feast anyways.

Better yet, I live at 323 South Cayuga St Apt 2 Ithaca NY, I'll be home in a few hours. Why don't you meet me there and we'll see who's talk.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Sep 2 2004, 01:52 PM
why are you giving me shit, you started this whole bitch feast anyways.

Better yet, I live at 323 South Cayuga St Apt 2 Ithaca NY, I'll be home in a few hours. Why don't you meet me there and we'll see who's talk.
Ithica? LOL.. when you said you just moved to NY I assumed you were like so many other NYC dwellers paying 2000 bucks a month for a no bedroom 200 square foot apt, that is so small you have to stand your screwdrivers up because they dont fit between any two walls laying down. I thought Ithica was pretty cheap to live.

Tell ya what though.... lets just drop the silliness. if you still want to swing by the ny (the city, not the state my bad though) I will buy the first round of beers. Hell with the price of gas I guess it would only be fair to buy the first ten rounds

We cool dude?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
chungaa1 is an unknown quantity at this point
nyc,,,,

rock on dude!! im with u!!

laters,
eric
chungaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
jesus fuck kids!!! Shut the hell up and help solve this person's problem!!!
If you want to argue, bitch, and flame, go elsewhere. I would have locked this thread already if I was a mod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)