down the hill with a cold engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mathijskok is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
down the hill with a cold engine

I live on a pretty high hill and almost every time I drive the Beamer, I have to go down a few miles with a cold engine (it can get pretty cold here, even in the garage). Now for some time I have been wondering what would be the best way to do so.

- If I go down in high gear it will slow the car (although I find changing brake pads a LOT cheaper then other stuff), but it will mean the car runs on idle and the oil pump does not push a lot of oil.
- If I do down in low gear I get the revs I need for the oil pump, but that;s not very good on a cold engine
- If I go down in neutral (I like that best), I get down with an engine that has been warming up on idle.

Now I have no problems, it's more an mind experiment. But I would like your ideas on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM
ex owner/admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathijskok
I live on a pretty high hill and almost every time I drive the Beamer, I have to go down a few miles with a cold engine (it can get pretty cold here, even in the garage). Now for some time I have been wondering what would be the best way to do so.

- If I go down in high gear it will slow the car (although I find changing brake pads a LOT cheaper then other stuff), but it will mean the car runs on idle and the oil pump does not push a lot of oil.
- If I do down in low gear I get the revs I need for the oil pump, but that;s not very good on a cold engine
- If I go down in neutral (I like that best), I get down with an engine that has been warming up on idle.

Now I have no problems, it's more an mind experiment. But I would like your ideas on it.

-i higher gear as in 5th? it wont slow down the car, a lower gear would ,
-thats not true, that belief is much like the one that you should idle your car untill warm, your suppose to warm the car up with driving (just not hard driving)
-neutral is dangerous only because your relying solely on your brakes for any sort of emergency. also wont warm the car the proper way.

you should really let the car warm up on it own, dont drive hard , i live in canada and it gets pretty cold, usually warm the car up at idle for about 30seconds to a minute before i begin to drive.... when i drive i dont try to get over 3000rpms just let it warm up, i use the coolant temp gauge as sort of a guide to know when to push the car a little more untill im at full temp for a while and the car is blowing sufficiant heat into the cabin..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)