Door or switch adjustment? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumrocks is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Door or switch adjustment?

I have recently purchased a 97 328ic...

Among a few minor issues, this one is the most annoying...

If windows are all the way up and I go over bumps or around curves the window motor adjusts window up and down as if I had just shut door and it is sealing it to convertible top. This happens on both sides of car. To further prove the point I can't use my overhead lamp in car set to turn on when door is opened because it flickers on and off while driving according to whether the car thinks door is opened or not. When exiting car a good hard slam will engage switch to seal window on drivers side...A normal shutting of door does not always work. The passenger side window is part of the culprit on that side though as it does not raise and lower straight...Slightly lower to rear of car so that I actually have to grab it with hands while door is open and lift it to align properly. Gonna have to open up that door panel and have a look at what can be done to get it realigned as it also makes a horrible popping noise (one time) while it is being raised. That one pop does not sound good either...Any recommendations on a thread that might help me with that process would be appreciated as well!

Any and all recommendations on a fix for this would be highly appreciated! Thank you for your time and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
You should inspect your wiring. Sounds like you might have a short somewhere and the hard bumps or slamming the door is causing two wires to touch.

You will have to take the door panel off to see what is wrong with the window. Here is the part diagram for the window mechanism to help you:
El.front door window lifting mechanism BMW 3' E36, 328i (M52) ? BMW parts catalog

Hope this helps.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 AM
n00b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumrocks is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
^ Many thanks! Unless it rains I may dive into it tomorrow as I want to look at my speakers as well...I will update as progress is hopefully made!
#4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Taking the panel off is easy.

Follow these steps:

1. Remove SRS airbag cover. Behind it is a screw.
2. Behind the handle is two covers, and screws.
3. Remove the mirror control and unplug the connector.
4. Remove by sliding forward (towards engine) the trim around the door release.
5. Remove the three (3) screws previously mentioned.
6. Unscrew the door lock knob. It just unscrews.
7. Starting at the BOTTOM, use a PLASTIC trim removal tool to slowly pry the clips out.
8. Once you get all the white plastic clips, slowly pull the bottom of the panel towards you. Their are clips are the top that are a different design (at least in my Sedan anyway). And all the plastic white clips need to be undone first.

The door panel should now be free except for the speaker clips. They come out just by pulling on them. You may need to tug kinda hard like I did. If you have a side airbag DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY. Removing the air bag connector wire with the battery still plugged in will trigger the light on your dash and its not fun to fix.

Their will be a gray foam barrier. Its held on with some really nasty black goop. Use a sharp exacto knife or putty knife to slowly cut through it and peel it back. This will take the longest of the whole procedure. After that you have access to everything.

Hope this helps

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)