Door Panels On My '92 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 07:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wolfgang318is is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey!

I just bought my '92 318is in February. Since then, I've needed a new clutch, new brakes and rotors, new control arms, and I still have a small leak in the main rear differential seal! Aargh. But anyway, the cosmetics are what's really bothering me. The passenger side door panel has partially separated to the point where it pulls away from the lock stem, and catches on the other interior panels making the door hard to open. Also, the rear cloth part of the armrest fell off, and the vinyl has separated from the body. I need to know how/the best way to glue this back on, and how to fix the bloody door panel. It's embarassing to drive a BMW like that.

Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same exact problem with the door panel

ive had my door panel off 100 times trying to get it to stay on there better.

i would make absolutely sure you have the right (bmw brand) plastic clips goin from the panel to the door in each hole. i tried using cheaper toyota brand clips that i cut to fit in there and my door panel eventually fell off. quick fix, but not a good one.

i only recently discovered there are holes to put screws in to hold the actual door handle to the metal outer door. (the door handle you would grab on to slam the door closed, not the latch door handle). obviously, once youve got that screwed into your door, its gonna get rid of all the pulling and pressure you may have been putting entirely on those plastic clip thingys.

if the door panel and the plastic piece that holds your clips onto the panel is seperated--- i dont know what to tell you. one of mine has recently pulled off. it seems like they were only glued onto the panel in the first place (seems like bad craftsmanship to me) but today i sandpapered them a little and covered them with rubber cement and am letting it dry as we speak. i dont know if it will work or not. i sure hope it does!!! i think if it at least holds decently and if i get those screws onto the door handle i mentioned above, it wont matter too much how strong its holding onto the panel.

walmart has some really good automotive glues you may be able to find to fix the other problems you mentioned. i found some tonight for door seals specifically. there were a bunch of other types for different things. you may look into that.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
i just noticed this was a 92 you are talking about.

my car is a 1996. i dont know if the door panels are the same or not.

whoops.

check and see.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
They're the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)