Door Handle "must Read" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Today i removed my interior door panel to fix my screwed up window. The window mechanism has two legs in which push up the window. One of the clips they are on these arms has snapped off, so i have to find out wat they are called and fix it.
The problem which i am addressing is the door. I cannot open the door from the ouside but i can from the inside. The ouside door handle doesnt seem to be clicking onto anything. Does anyone know wat has snapped off? or pushed off or wateva, and a diagram on wat it looks like so i can finsish working on it tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

nameless08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nameless08
I had the same problem with my door handle... I don’t know what the names of the pieces are, but a portion of the handle inside the panel that actually opens the door broke off. The whole exterior door handle directly from BMW would cost $240. They would need to customize it according to your VIN # so that they can match up your key with the lock cylinder. Labor would cost an extra $160.

Screw that, just decided to go to a salvage yard and pick up another handle assembly from another e36, which was $75. Replacing the handles took me a good 5-6 hours.

The MAJOR downside is that I haven’t found out a way to replace MY lock cylinder with the cylinder on the better door handle in order to be able to use my key for locking or unlocking. Basically, I need to lock or unlock the car from the passenger’s side door, then walk back around the car to get in.

But this Friday or Saturday, I’m planning to install a keyless entry and alarm system so I can ‘over-ride’ the fact that I need to always walk around my car to lock/unlock.

But, tell me if any of you guys find out a way to take out the lock cylinders. It’s annoying to have to walk around the car all the time.

here's a picture of the piece that broke off....

the next picture is what it would look like if it was set in place, the arrow points to where the crack is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorpeice.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	17992   Click image for larger version

Name:	doorpeice02.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	17993  

.snice.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:30 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thx, how hard is it to put that party back on?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

nameless08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nameless08
man, it was a bitch, and i also did mine at night time... it made it so much harder
make sure that you have 1 or 2 of your friends around to help you if you plan to replace the door handles yourself.

you need to unbolt the legs where the window rests on. Then you need to unscrew the window from the control arm so that the window is free from the arm.

once you do that,... this is where your friend, comes in handy, ... he needs to pull up the window as far up as he can because you can't take the window out. It was a lot easier to take out the old handle because i accidentally broke it as I was pulling it out....

OOOPS...

But fitting in the new part was hard...

I cant get into details, Just PM me and ill try to write something up for you

lates...
juice

.snice.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ooH starting to sound like a little bit of fun. My question now is do i need to replace the assemble or can i fix it, is it possible for it just to click out of the join in which it was restrained from?
#6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i already have a keyless entry system which will make it easier, i have found the broken part but cant seem to be able to get it out, im going to remove the widow system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)