this doesn't sound too good.... help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
daveinaz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation this doesn't sound too good.... help!

1994 325i E36:

Ok, just when I though this mission was over. Daughter had a fender bender 2 weeks after buying the car. Replaced the entire coolant system pretty much. The fender bender hit the fan blade, the fan blade hit everything and cut things up. Replaced all hoses, therm., radiator, fans, etc.... Got it bled properly. Drove great, sounded great. No oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil. Trans. fluid looks good., oil levels are fine, nothing on the driveway.

QUESTION- Did this yesterday then again today...... I went to start the car. Heard a loud thunk noise under the hood immediately and quickly, then it wouldn't start. Battery is fine.
Waited a few seconds, started it, no thunk, no start.
Waited a few more seconds, no thunk, STARTED FINE, RAN FINE.

Did this again this morning. Same big thunk, no start.
Waited a minute, no thunk no start.
Waited another minute NO THUNK, STARTED FINE.

Anyone heard of this before? I'm by far not a mechanic but have worked on all our cars for years myself, fixing and replacing major parts. I've never had this one happen before. Don't know if I want to send my daughter off driving even though it sounds fine now. What is the single thunk that makes it not start for a couple minutes? HELP!!
Edit/Delete Message
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 325i and 1991 318is
Photos:
iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
wow, that does sound weird. I have a '95 325i myself, but never had that happen. these E36's can sure develop some odd problems. good luck, and if i think of anything i'll let ya know
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Does it sound like a backfire, maybe through the intake hose & maf sensor, before starting 1st thing in the morning, have the hood open & have someone stand on the driver's side of the car & listen......that would explain it not starting right after you try immediately, maybe a slight rich mixture or maybe you stepped on the gas prior to starting.....maybe through here......click on link.....
johnny,
RealOEM.COM * BMW E36 325i MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Did you maybe forget a wrench in the engine compartment that got thrown off in the afterward? ;-)

Seriously... in our zeal to do things like these, we sometimes forget...
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
daveinaz is on a distinguished road
Well I took my time I was busy but I replaced the starter. After that FUN job (I took advantage and changed the fuel filter while I had the whole thing apart) the moment of truth and it started right up. Sounded great. Took it for a drive, pulled into the driveway and the car died. So forget it I'm tired I took it in, thought whatever else it needed just let me know. The mechanic said the starter I had just put in had died after 4 miles! Brought it back home, changed the starter AGAIN. Moment of truth, started right up, runs great.

Questions: Now I have the battery indicator light, the ABS light and the Engine light on. NICE. Also has a bit of a rough idle after it's warmed up. The engine light was on before and the code came back air flow problem or something like that. After I replaced the starter before the engine light went off. So maybe I have something in there I need to check again since I had the whole thing apart in the air flow. The shop couldn't test the alternator because the starter was dead but they said the battery charge was fine even a little high so they thought it was probably fine. The battery and ABS lights were not on at all until I just put everything back together. Anyone have ANY idea's before I jump back into it I would appreciate on the somewhat rough idle and the indicator lights..........
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)