BMW Werkz banner

Does Icv Affect Takeoff?

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Ok I KNOW my ICV is dirty, Im having idling problems

but It seems on some days, like my "takeoff" from a start is kinda well laggy, I know mines an auto, but still it seems a little laggy, sometimes tho, not all the time

So I was wondering, couldnt the ICV affect takeoff and stuff, cause im barely idling over .5g's?

and sometimes Ill let my foot of the gas to like go up a turn, and it just like feels like a dippage in the rpm like holds me back

any ideas, I figure the second problem may be o2 sensor or mass air flow sensor?

#2 ·
Idle control valve should not change the way the engine throttles. The throttle has MUCH more influence on how much power the engine makes. However, if you idle is extremely low, it could lead to a long reaction time.

Why not replace the ICV, and then troubleshoot?

#7 ·
Originally posted by BMW-ATI@Jul 1 2005, 01:15 PM
I thought the ICV was like bigger
plus that says idle regulating valve LOL!

amnyone is that picture right, cause if so then it should be easy to clean?
[snapback]358887[/snapback]​

YES, that is a correct valve. in real life, however it looks a little bigger than that and it is located right under your intake manifold. just take a flashlight, stand directly in front of the engine and try to see it under the manifold. there are few hoses that may block the view so just move them carefully and you will see it. from your side, you will see a connected electric plug in it.. there is a also a rubber wrap around it that holds it in place...

i have similar syptoms to yours and i have cleaned it but it didn't change anything..

now i tend to think that my coil plugs need to be replaced or something like that...

ask me if you need more info on how to remove that valve...

#11 ·
no, i don't have a picture... but it is directly under the intake manifold.. kind of close to the engine block but not very very close...

just take a flashlight, stand in front of the engine and try to look right under the manifold... and yeah take the airways off such as air mass meter and that another thing that attaches to the throttle... also the airway that goes from radiator to the intake manifold can be removed very easily...

it will still be not easy to reach, disconnect and remove icv but it will help..

#12 ·
first off that link is only showing maf to intake manifold parts,, second the pic that war put up is of the fuel filter.. secondly if the ICV is that bad it could affect the performance but i really dont think its gonna, it will affect idle though, are you sure its just not you? LOL i mean it can be due to the heat, cars dont perform as good in the heat as they do in cooler temps,

oh btw here is a pic of an ICV http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php...e=post&id=18156

#18 ·
hmm try pelicanparts.com for the ICV valve.

And about your rpm's dipping up hill, does it keep going up and down between 2000 and 2500 rpm's? my car does that, so I think auto's do that. I just give it a lil bit more gas and it either goes down a gear or goes up to around 3000 rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.