Do it yourself bumpers, hoods, fenders. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rborak318iS is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Do it yourself bumpers, hoods, fenders.

Ok so I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves....I want to put on either a cf hood or just oem. I want to put on the m3 front bumper and of course I need a new fender. Has anyone done any of this? I was reading my hanes manual the other night and it said you have to put the vehicle on jack stands to replace a bumper. Has anyone done this without putting on jack stands? Although the m3 front bumper looks so sweet, I was wondering how it is with the bottoming out factor going over speed bumps etc. Whoever has an e36 m3 or an e36 with the m3 bumper give your two cents about it. K well anyways that is all for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh yeah, also wanted to know where I can get new oem parts like hoods and fenders and all that. Of course you can look for it on ebay but I was hoping there would be something a bit more direct and indefinate. Thanks
#3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
ive put both an OEM M3 front bumper, and a carbon fibre hood on my car, both very easy tasks to do excluding the paint. as for fenders , why exactly do you want to change your fenders? if they dont need to be than dont bother, they dont make any difference when adding those asthetic mods

i didnt use jackstands to put either the bumper or the hood on. you really dont need to get under the car that much.
you wont bottom out your car with an M3 front, its not that much lower than stock and to be honest you shouldnt be flying over speed bumps

#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborak318iS
Ok so I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves....I want to put on either a cf hood or just oem. I want to put on the m3 front bumper and of course I need a new fender. Has anyone done any of this? I was reading my hanes manual the other night and it said you have to put the vehicle on jack stands to replace a bumper. Has anyone done this without putting on jack stands? Although the m3 front bumper looks so sweet, I was wondering how it is with the bottoming out factor going over speed bumps etc. Whoever has an e36 m3 or an e36 with the m3 bumper give your two cents about it. K well anyways that is all for now.
i just recently put on my front bumper, its pretty easy IF u can get ur bumper cover off of the actual bumper itself(the bumper itself being a metal peice behind the cover that holds the cover(actual plastic piece) in place.

oh and as for speed bumps like mark said u should be ok but if u get the plastic underpanel be careful...

to take off the bumper u need to remove 2 screws in the wheel wells in the front then take off the front bumper moldings and remove 3 bolts...once u have the bumper off, the metal part is still attached...that is the tricky part and u might break the plastic peices that hold the bumper to the cover, but its ok, u can get them online or at the dealership

for oem parts go to
pelicanparts.com

#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Useless tip: If you won't need the old bumper any longer, find a tall curb and proceed to drive into it at 5-10 mph.

Note: Poster can not be held responsible or liable for damages or injuries incurred.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ha ha, thats a good useless tip. I might do that. Yeah I drive so slow over speed bumps, i creep over them. I was going through to school parking lot and this really cute girl in a red 325 convertible who's daddy probably bought it for her went over the bump wayyyyy too fast. She gave me this smile before she did it and when I saw her do that I gave that "ouch" look or the "eeeeee" look. But yeah I dont know, how much did you get your carbon fiber hood for and where did you get it? Is your bumper an original bmw part or is it AC Schnitzer, M tech etc etc. And I need a new fender because the one i have is all smashed in (some idiot in a red '93 toyota shit box pulled out in front of me not too long ago and his insurance has given me half the cost of the repair so i will have to do all this myself) . Anyway send some replies.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 04:34 PM
General Chaos

<-------------------chcek my VBgarage where it says View Speedinfusions Cars

#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out the carbon fiber hood from Carbon innovations store in Ebay. it costs $400, but it comes out to $550 w/the shipping and is made from VIS. Just type bmw carbon fiber hood and see what comes up. I would say to stick to these guys because it can fit OEM because most of the other ones look like they use pins or shady.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
General Chaos

there is actually a pretty good one on on sale in the bimmerforums parts sale section for 325$

#10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by BImmerN2B
Check out the carbon fiber hood from Carbon innovations store in Ebay. it costs $400, but it comes out to $550 w/the shipping and is made from VIS. Just type bmw carbon fiber hood and see what comes up. I would say to stick to these guys because it can fit OEM because most of the other ones look like they use pins or shady.

VIS thumbs down..... read my review in the review forum i have first hand experience with them

as for mods check my vbgarage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)