Dme - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone. I had some bad news this week. My DME failed and I had to order a new one from Germany! It was a very expensive part. My cars not that old, its a 98. Does anyone know why it failed? My mechanic couldn't really tell me. He said it just happens sometimes. And also I have a aftermarket cat on it and he told me I need to have a OEM or it will cause faults. Any advice?

MJ

2001 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:32 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
First sorry for the question but what is a DME, and then i might be able to pull up an answer

David
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
An aftermarket cat will only cause problems if its not the right one.. and or you have removed your 02 sensors...

You could optimize your performance by adding a more free flowing exhaust and a intake with a computer system upgrade that would fix your fuel curve to take into effect your new mods...

As for your DME... a very common problem is water exposure...

Have you used a car wash that sprays the uderbody lately??? or before this happend???

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:36 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
I'd be willing to bet water had something to do with it as Les said. hand wish that beauty :P

#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:36 PM
n00b

mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred318@Jan 16 2005, 01:32 PM
First sorry for the question but what is a DME, and then i might be able to pull up an answer

David
[snapback]272644[/snapback]
Digital Motor Electronics.Its a microprocessor-based system that controls the ignition, the fuel injection, the oxygen sensor and numerous ancillary functions. DME provides raw data to an on-board computer that uses an alphanumeric display to provide you with information such as the average fuel consumption, the distance you can still cover with fuel in the tank, an average speed, outside temperature and more.

MJ

2001 325i
#6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
If you havent go the DME from the dealer, i recomend you to try something first. sometimes it works, sometimes does not.
Get the DME, put it on your bech or a surface.
BEfore opening the DME get yourself electicaly discharged, so touch a metal surface and keep touchin git, like with you feet.

Open the DMe metal box and with a hair dryer star blowing hot air on the circuit board, dont worry sothering tmeperatures are hoter than a hair blower, so keep blowing to help dry the board, then get contact spray cleaner, that one used for electronics, spray it all over it, this thing dry up any moisture on the surface of the electronic board.. on aircarft maintenence they use freon, because when liquid freon touches the metal surfaces of electronics, it instantly boils and evaporates burning any moisture that it has..

anyway..
do this above, reasslemble the unit and plug it in, then try firing it, migh work or not.

also if youre using an independent shop to do this job, chances are they would not be able to do it, because they need BMW computer, known as modic.
Since the DME has to be coded with the mileage on the dashboard, they both have to macth and since youre car has the central locking system, the key and the locking system must be codec with the DME and only a dealer has acces to this computer, unless your shop guy can gey this from a dealer, then he can do it. otherwise call the flat bed truck and send to the dealer to get programed once the part is in.. yes it sucks...

I really hope one day the modic programs are on the net, so with a few wire some plugs we can make our own wires to use on the laptop.. Dont forget Modic is a regular computer runing windows with BMW software to code the cars..

Going back to subject.
But before even getting the other unit, think about one think, how did water get there, very simple

where the air intake for the ac is, which is that little plastic grill on top of the engine, there are drain in there to drain the water from the windshield. if the grill is broken or not well in place, leaves and other natural crap gets in there, clogs the drain ports. then you make a heavy turn one day and voila the water runs sideways and enter the DME housing box. and if you ask, would the water enter the ac box, yes it can, but if this happens it would end up being drained by the ac evaporator drain inside the box. so you dont notice.

General rule is, make sure yo pick the residues on the bottom of the widnshile and trown away, and whenever youre checking oil and stuff, pop taht grill open and see if there are things in there.
yes is a thing place, but there are 5 screws, take them out and the metal part where the grill goes onto comes out so you have a big acces to the blower housing and drain and all the stuff underneat the windshield.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)