BMW Werkz banner

DIY iDrive?! :driving

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  007ben 
#1 ·
I've got the first part of my carputer done!~
I brought myself a NAVMAN PIN, (MIO 168) GPS/PDA Pocket PC 2003.
I'm gonna put in a Sandisk 256/WI-FI combo and put in a 2nd hand Laptop in the boot (Wifi as well), using terminal service to acces the laptop.
Instant carputer with GPS. However, I need to find out a few things and would like some help.

1. Is there any connections avaliable to hook the computer into the car's computer controls? And are there any documents for those signals? :idea2

2. Any suggestions on how I should wire up my windows to the serial/USB port? Is it even a good idea? (probably not) :blink:

3. How do you go about hooking up a 3.5mm line out into the car's stock amp (trust me, after all the computers, I have no money left for the sound stuff)

4. What good functions would people like to be able to control from a touch screen computer? I'm considering getting some RFID programs and equipment. and linking these up to central locking unit. (I know this is all possible stuff, but I've gotta spend some time reading up on the specs) :deal

Finally, I find some use for my computer engineering degree!!! :thumbs

Thanks!!!!! :driving Happy driving

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.