DIY - ICV (Idle Control Valve) Cleaning - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
uber e36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to uber e36
(Thread Starter)
DIY - ICV (Idle Control Valve) Cleaning

My car was revving itself slightly during idle and I also noticed this when coming to a stop at red lights now and again. I read up and apparently I needed to clean the ICV. There was a usefull DIY from a UK bimmer board, but I felt it simplified things a little too much and I thought I would share my experience...

This was done on a '95 325is with an M50TU engine and CAI. It worked for me but don't blame me if you screw something up...

First of all.... we're working under the hood from above:

We are going to be concentrating on the intake area of the engine:

You're going to take off the air duct that feeds the alternator:

Now you'll undo your CAI:

Next you will undo your MAF:

Now place the MAF off to the side:

Next you remove the rubber elbow from the Throttle Body:

The ICV has 2 hoses running from it. The first one connects to the rubber elbow. You're going to simply pull/twist it off:

Now you can remove the rubber elbow and put it out of the way:

(dirty throttle body... ewww)

Click signature for pictures:

Need some Real Estate Advice? www.gracehomes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Before you start trying to take the ICV out, you should understand what it looks like. The hose on the right is the one you just unplugged from the rubber intake boot. The one on the left runs verticl and into the underside of the intake manifold:

Here is the ICV as it lays in your engine. The white circle is the bottom of the ICV and it runs as a cylinder towards the passenger compartment. Notice that I have highlighted the hose that you just unplugged from the rubber boot:

This is a look below the intake manifold showing the 2nd hose running from the ICV which plugs into the intake manifold. Note that you undo it where I have circled and I had to soak it with WD-40 and gently use a flathead screwdriver from above to work it loose. I pointed out the ICV position:

You'll have to unplug the electical source to the ICV. There is a metal clip on the bottom side that you push up while pulling the plug towards the front of the car:

Note that there is a rubber circle that holds the ICV tightly in place. You will need to push the ICV towards the rear of the car to slide it out of the grip of this rubber piece. The rectangle I drew running diagonaly to the right is a metal piece that the ICV sits above. Notice I highlighted a tube running parallel and to the right of the ICV. That normally sits above the metal piece but I moved it below to access the ICV better:

Here is the ICV pushed away from you and about to fully clear the rubber piece that holds it:

Now comes the hard part! To get the ICV out of there you need to basically have it follow the path of the tube that ran to the rubber intake boot. You will have to go slow, moving the ICV and hoses in different angles as it is tight. I didn't think I was going to get it... but it came out with patience and some force.

To clean the ICV, you just dip some Q-Tips in rubbing alcohal and wipe out everything you can see. Then you pour a bit of rubbing alcohal into the ICV, shake around and drain. Once it's all dry, spray some WD-40 and re-install!

Here are pics of the two sides of the ICV. Mine was originally all black inside:

Goodluck!

-Geoff

#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 05:14 PM
n00b

MN325iSedan is on a distinguished road
Did this the other weekend. Cleaning the valve was the easy part, getting all the hoses disconnected/reconnected was a pita though.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 AM
n00b

daki77 is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Geoff, for the great write-up!

Isn't it a good idea to clean throttle body "while you're there"? Is it hard to disconnect it ( TB ) and leave it connected to coolant hoses only and clean it that way (basicly while it's still under the hood)? How would you do it...by spraying some TB cleaner (teflon safe) in and out and wiping it off...orrrr, some other way?! Thanks...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I guess you could, but my problem was the engine is running too lean (too much air) so I didn't feel a need to clean the TB.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM
n00b

bagelboy91 is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a pic of where the ICV is located in a 91 318is?

This sounds like my problem.

BagelBoy91
1991 318is
#7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
n00b

wolfie359 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wolfie359
occasionally my car will idle around 1500 when i come to a stop... I think I'm going to clean this idle air thingy too... see if it works Thanks for the instructions and idea!
#9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:26 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I will do a DIY for the 318i M42/M44 engine soon. I will post it with Pictures in the DIY section

#10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:23 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarco View Post
I will do a DIY for the 318i M42/M44 engine soon. I will post it with Pictures in the DIY section
cool

#11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:25 AM
n00b

wolfie359 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wolfie359
Yep... Cleaned this little valve thingy... Cars runs smooth now No revving to 1500 to 2000 at stop lights anymore...
#12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
n00b

E36Jar_Face is on a distinguished road
Okay so I did everything the write up said and now my engine revs are unstable and the engine shakes quite a bit, instead of what it was doing. (rpms dropping to 400ish when i came off the throttle) I have checked and rechecked my work, whats up? O2 sensor next?
#13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Excellent ... This is what Bmw Owners Need mate... Well done !

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)