BMW Werkz banner

DIY Ellipsoid and HID installation

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
Ellipsoid and HID install DIY

Well, Fed Ex is late, and I've already got half the process done, so I figured I'd knock out some of the DIY now. Some pictures posted are not mine, I will edit mine in when I get home.

So, Ellipsoid installation:

To install the new euro assemblies you will first need to remove the NA spec headlights. To begin, you will need to remove the plastic peice in between the headlights. It is held in place by 6 screws, lovingly circled here:

The two on the sides also have clips that will need to be pryed out. The lift up and push it toward the rear of the car, and it will slide out of place.

Clip things:

[edit in later]

The next step is to remove all the bulbs and the sidemarker. It is held in place by a tab, gently press on it while applying forward pressure and it will come loose. You will now have access to the 5 8mm bolts that hold the headlights on. Two are hidden here:

The other 3 are on the top. You will want to use a 19mm wrench or something to hold the plastic nuts with while you undo the bolts; these are what position the headlight.

When undoing the bolts on the inside, be VERY careful not to drop it. I did, and it took awhile to fish out.

[edit in later]

Also, I suggest you use a socket screwdriver. If not, you will need to use multiple extensions.

[edit in later]

By now you should've gotten one light removed. Now it's time for another plastic bag to hold your screws and beer.

[edit in later]

Stay tuned for part two...which be about an hour or two after fedex fucking shows up!

See less See more
#4 ·
lol, dont track your packages online, that will make you so anxious you'll probably start eating yourself

try not to get too excited, but on the other hand dont forget about it, cuz then the UPS guy will come, and you wont be there to answer the door, and you'll have to wait even more

thats killer when shlt like that happens

#5 ·
If you are going to leave, put a note saying UPS: garage. Then open your garage about 1 foot and he'll toss it in there. Also, you can check online and they usually type in where they left it. I.E. GARAGE.

#6 ·
It's fedex though, he might anger the fedex man with the note and then the delivery guy will set his headlights on fire. Then he will make sure to take the remains so presidente can't even cry over the melted plastic and glass glob.

Kevin

#7 ·
That's funny that you mention UPS and FedEx. I had my HID's shipped via UPS and the sender put it in a FedEx box. It was hilarious because the UPS.com tracking number said it was delivered but I couldn't find a UPS box anywhere. I swear I passed by that FedEx box 10 times before I looked at it and saw the UPS shipping label.

#9 ·
Yes, yes, patience. Not something I have much of. Hit some snags along the way thanks to my previous owner and my fog lights (the ground tab on my lowbeam was burnt and melted, had to buy new connectors).

Anyway, to pick up where I left off:

Hella 6000K H7 HID kit. Supposed to be 5000K Bohmen kit, but after 5 months of waiting I don't care what it is as long as its HID and it fits. These are the contents of the package: 2 HID bulbs, ballast, connectors, mounting bracket, 3M double sided tape, and sheet metal screws.

[edit later]
[edit later]

Clearly, the back door of the housing must be modified to allow the HID bulb and connector to fit through. The instructions said drill a 23mm hole. I eyeballed it with a dremel. The best thing I found to do was to make lateral cuts using a cutting blade, then using the sander to smooth it into a circle.
[edit later]
[edit later]
[edit later]

Now we can fit the bulb and wires through the hole. Seat the bulb and clip it in place with the retainers. Then, plug the red wire with a spade on the end into the positive connection that would originaly go on the standard light. Plug the black one into the ground connection.

[edit later]

Re-attach the dust cover and use a thick gob of silicon sealant to keep out moisture.

Now, put the ellipsoids in the car. They are bigger than the NA spec, and will require some wiggling, but they will fit. Plig your factory lowbeam into the lowbeam adapter that came with your ellipsoids, and do the same for the highs. Now, plug in all the wires coming out of the HID light, and find a place to mount the ballast. I used the double sided tape and moutned one on the washer fluid resevoir, and the other on a peice of the chassis where the snorkell used to be (also debaffled this afternoon).

[edit later]

Make sure you're screws are secure and you should be good to go. Replace your fuses to 15A, and start them up. Leave it on for 5 minutes before turning it off the first time, and behold:

[edit later]

#11 ·
Why did you leave it on for 5 minutes before igniting the HIDs?

#12 ·
I read somewhere you are supposed to let them stay on for a few minutes on the initial startup to let them "burn in" or something. I guess I'll post one late night photo just to tease you guys...

I'll also be posting a video tomorrow of the debaffled sound.

Attachments

#13 ·
Oops. I thought you said 5 minutes until you turn them on. Nevermind. That sounds right and HID ELLIPSOIDS are f'ing awesome.

#14 ·
yes. yes they are.

I also drove around tonight for a little more than 2 hours in the rain, and the Depos never fogged. They get my seal of quality approval, which is rare for non-OEM lighting.

#15 ·
Did you just drive for the hell of it? I do. That sounds like those DEPOs are pretty nice. Let me know in the morning if any condensation has appeared.

#16 ·
I usually drive if I have nothing else to do. It was a combination of that and I wanted to test the Depos tonight. I'm actually pretty bored right now. I'm gonna go shoot by debaffled soundbite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.