BMW Werkz banner

Dinan Stage 2 Ecu Upgrade

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  NeverLeaned 
#1 ·
Alright I back with more ECU questions....

Well as some of you may know I've been very much so on the fence between doing an OBDII---->OBDI conversion or just simply upgrading via Shark and M50 manifold. Due to budgetary concerns I've been on the hunt to fulfill the later of the two scnearios. :( **** yea, yea i know this is Bimmer and that I shouldn't be cheap, but Im gonna have to be thrifty or I will blow my $4500 buget away (ie: Cosmo intake over Dinan intake..... used M50 manifold vs. Shrick etc etc)

I've come across this deal and wanted to bounce it off all you experts to see what you think and what the risks are that involved against the cost savings.

I've come a across a USED Dinan Stage 2 ECU (this is the 9hp/9tq spec ECU.) I've spoken to the owner and he's in the mist of a turbo upgrade project on his 98 M3 and thus has no use for the Dinan.

The ECU is gonna cost me $150 and he is willing to go with me to BMW of Greenwich (an authorized Dinan installer) to have the swap done.

My total cost $225. (ECU and install)

I was on the cell in the car when we talked, so I still need to confirm 100% that this ECU upgrade (98 M3) is the same for my car (96 328is)

So, if the part numbers match up, and this is gonna be proffesionally installed what if anything do I need to concern myself with????

Thanks in advance,
NL

EDIT: I guess I should add my project list here incase it has an affect on this ECU upgrade
-Comsos CAI (install this week)
-Turner Pulley Kit (install this week)
-Fan Delete Mod (install this week)
-M50 manifold (should be done in the next 60 days... assuming I stay OBDII)
-UUC exhaust - (in the spring.... damn I hate to have to drive this winter with that beautiful exhaust :( )

Those are the primary mods

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know man... 9hp for 225 seems like too much. Spend double that and get all the parts to do the conversion and you're set :p

Also I bought the cosmo intake 3.5 intake and without a doubt this is well worth the 120 I spent on it. I don't care if it's carbon fiber or what not, the dinan intakes are not worth it. anything over 200 for an intake is crazy.

but back to your question, I'd just shark the car with JC. for 100 more you'll get more hp and torque then going with that dinan thing.

autowerks.com

#3 ·
Im not sold on the shark.

--- I've never once seen a spec sheet that shows what it can do by itself (at least for a 328.) The only time they put up numbers is if its combined with a CAI (they usually claim 12 or so hp with the CAI) or they correct HP to the crank. Most of the CAI kits claim just about the same amount increase on their own...........

--- If you look at the generic dyno chart they put up on all the sites, it doesn't really make much sense. I sat there with a calculator to figure out the units of increase (gotta eyeball it I know) but it looks like you only get 3 or 4 ponies @ peak HP....

--- The Dinan kit at least puts numbers up. 9 ponies @6000 9 torque @ 5000.

As for other benefits....... well they about the same to me. (octane, rev limit, and the pretty much useless in the real world speed limiter.

If it was shark or nothing...... then I would probably go spending $1400 to do the OBDII--->OBDI conversion right.

#4 ·
dude you can do an obd1 conversion much cheaper then that... call a place in SF called Bill Arnold's BMW... I have the # written down at work somewhere. All you really need is the intake manifold, some gaskets for that, wiring harness, ecu, dme, and a good mechanic and you can do that conversion for well under the 1500 that zion autosports sells it for (which is a crock of shit price). with the 97 m3 motor that I got last weekend to put in my 325i I'm converting it back to obd1 and it's costing me nothing becuse I already had the parts from my old motor. I just don't think dinan's parts are worth it. the suspension is killer though from dinan.

#5 ·
I would definately appreciate it if you can hook me up with that number :) PM it to me.

Even the OBDII--->OBDI isn't fantastic either. The manifold itself opens up most of power. You can acheive most of claimed gains via just the manifold. But, the fact that you can chip it now makes a world of difference :)

Anways, Here is a chart I made... a little rough... .to illistrate the gains claimed via the confronti shark. As you can clearly see this dyno chart is down @ the crank and not at the wheels..... so the actuall power you put down on the road is even worse than that.
I estimate: 192 stock, 197 Sharked, 203 Shark/CAI.

Ok, but here is the part that confuses me the most about this chart. The torque specs? Those look more like 325 specs then 328 specs there..... unless they took the HP from the crank and the TQ from the tires :eek:uch

#6 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Oct 10 2004, 08:02 PM
dude you can do an obd1 conversion much cheaper then that... call a place in SF called Bill Arnold's BMW... I have the # written down at work somewhere. All you really need is the intake manifold, some gaskets for that, wiring harness, ecu, dme, and a good mechanic and you can do that conversion for well under the 1500 that zion autosports sells it for (which is a crock of shit price). with the 97 m3 motor that I got last weekend to put in my 325i I'm converting it back to obd1 and it's costing me nothing becuse I already had the parts from my old motor. I just don't think dinan's parts are worth it. the suspension is killer though from dinan.
[snapback]208914[/snapback]​
BTW.... regarding this conversion again. Im aware of the changes that need to be made to retrofit the M50 manifold to M52 engine. But, whats the deal with the harnesses? Do they retro fit or are you pulling out all the OBDII cabling and swapping in the OBDI stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.