Dinan Stage 1 Suspension - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:29 PM
General Chaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
(Thread Starter)
http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=14&...is%20Tuning#806hey guys, is this dinan suspension worth $1200?

or is there any other setup i can do to maybe drop my car about a inch or so? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it depends on if you want it for the look or if you want it for tried and tested performance. Also keep in mind that for that price you could get the Bilstien Coil overs. It really is compleletly a personal choice. The ride of the Dinan would be better than the Coil overs, but you could potentially get better performance out of the coil overs if you ever took the time to get them tuned in just right. Also you get adjustable ride height with the coil overs, so if you scrape you can raise your car, or if you don't you can lower it a little more. Also with the Dinan you get the Koni adjustable struts, which also allows you to with in reason customize the handling characteristics of your car.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
For $1200, you're only getting a set of koni shocks/struts and springs. That seems really over priced. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the koni adj. shocks/struts and springs yourself?

I love dinan, and anything you get from them will be of the highest quality. If money isn't an issue for you, go for it. If you want to get more bang for your buck, go with UUC's stage three for about the same price.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 09:03 PM
General Chaos

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Oct 1 2004, 05:47 PM
For $1200, you're only getting a set of koni shocks/struts and springs. That seems really over priced. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the koni adj. shocks/struts and springs yourself?

I love dinan, and anything you get from them will be of the highest quality. If money isn't an issue for you, go for it. If you want to get more bang for your buck, go with UUC's stage three for about the same price.
[snapback]203072[/snapback]
really?hmm how much are the adjustable konis? and i head about h&r and blistin too, where would be a good site to check out what i need?

#5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

theogill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to theogill
I'm pretty sure you also get larger sway bars with the Dinan stage 1 setup. I've contemplated it and will probably do it when I need new struts/shocks. One of the dealers in my area installs it for another 6-7 hundred.

98 328i, black/black, manual, canadian sport pkg, ECIS intake, koni sport adj's, dinan springs, oe/oem clears.
Considering: tms shark,M 17" wheels, larger sway bars.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
no sway bars until stage two, stage three adds camber plates. Oddly enough, the sway bars only cost about $600 more. Which actually isn't that bad of a price for both front and rear sway bars.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:28 AM
General Chaos

(Thread Starter)
wtf! the UUC Site says that there stage 4 is only like 1050!! thanks for the input guys, but can anyone tell me about the Blistin + H&R deal? im kinda a new to suspensions, thanks!

#8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:32 PM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Bilstein and H&R is a good combo, from peoples sigs it looks like a lot of people are running that setup. It won't be as tuned as the UUC or Dinan, or the Bilstein coil-overs, but it is still a good setup and is cheaper.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:14 AM
n00b

Dinan 95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey
I love my stage 2 suspension setup.
It rides nice, well nicer then you sould expect, and it turns like its on rails.
I have no camber plates, and I have raced on a track before and can keep up with some pretty sweet cars in the turns.
Its funny when you can keep up with a Vette in a Convertible 3 series beemer.
Given he destroys me down the straight away.
I absolutly love it, was it worth the price....YES!

318I convertible, Dinan Exhaust and performance chip
Roh BMW racing 17's, Dinan Stage 2 suspension system. Pinoeer CD player, pioneer speakers front and rear. Pioneer 400 watt 6 channel amp. and MTX 8" subwoofer.
35,000 miles
#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Dinan puts ALOT of reserch and ALOT of time into their products to ensure that what they are selling you will ACTUALLY work to your advantage and produce a performance increase. Personally I think they are one of the best BMW aftermarket options on the market. AND unlike other salesmen Steve Dinan is very straight foreward and deffinatly tells you how it is (met him, was VERY impressed).

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
General Chaos

(Thread Starter)
what about the UUC stage 3 or 4? any good?
and should i get the rims, strut bar, and sound system before dropping it?

#12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:45 AM

depends on where your priorities are. If you want some show first, then go with some rim and a sound system. Until you upgrade suspension, the strut bar will also basically only be for show. IF you want performance, upgrade suspension first, sway-bars, strut bars, strut mounts, and then what ever else you want to do with the car go for it.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:55 AM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Dinan stuff is really good. I know because I've owned the sways and suspension. However, a total rip off! For half the price you could get something of the same quality and performance.

Best buy, get Bilstein front and rear dampers, H&R sport springs and H&R front and rear sway bars.

CDN $$$ priced seperately

Bilstein dampers - $800CDN a set
H&R sport springs - $350CDN a set
H&R front and rear sways - $450CDN a set

total $1600 CDN = $1230. However, because of the current exchange rate, I'm sure you could find all these goodies for about $1000USD or less! Shop around.

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
#14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
I just looked at what comes in the set for the Dinan Stage 1, and I'm fairly sure that's what I have on my car, except I'm sure that the springs are Eibach and so are my sways. I have no idea what springs and sways the Dinan stage 1 uses. I know for a fact that the Eibach sways are the beefiest made for the E36. I have the same struts as the stage 1 for sure tho, and I have to say the car handles like a champ. I dunno if it's worth the money, but it sure kicks ass on my car.

So now that I've seen the $1400 price tag on the suspension, I estimate that I paid $6200 out the door for a car with $2500 in mods on it, making my effective cost for the car only $3700. Not fucking bad at all.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Nunzio is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the UUC stage 3 setup, I had really good strut tower braces front and rear to start with. So in essence it's a stage 4. For the $ this thing handles so well and the ride on the highway is not too harsh. It runs on rails. Look at my signature for all the othet stuff I put on.
I think for the $ it's well worth it. I looked into coilovers, The Bilstiens PSS9's were my choice. Coil overs are great if you Track your car alot, at alot of different tracks.Reason being you will need the adjustability. For street and an occasional track day it's overkill and expensive. Plus on coilovers once you get the suspension set to where you like it you don't usually change it. If you start with a great setup suspension with the correct springs and dampers that have been engineered to give the ride you like then adjustability become a non-issue.
Just my opinion. I have setup and modified alot of Motorcycle suspensions and raced alot , all that adjustability is really for when you get it like you want it, then it's left alone.

98 328is Sport Package M3-Spoiler and Front End,

Turner Motorsports 4 Wheel drilled Rotors.
Axxis Brake Pads, Teflon/Stainless Brake Hoses.
UUC Sachs Stage 4 Suspension.
Sway Bavarian Sway Bars.
H&amp;H MotorSports Front and Rear Strut braces.
Conforti CAI and Shark Injector.
UUC System U DTM Exhaust
UUC Short shifter , Tranny Mounts and Clutch Stop.
F1Danza Lightweight Flywheel with M-3 Heavy duty clutch.
Factory BMW M3 Front Bumper with Splitter.
More to follow...MUCH MORE !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)