BMW Werkz banner

Dead Battery

5K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  triggrhaapi 
#1 ·
Ok well this morning my car wouldn't start.... It turns on and checks but it never STARTS.... is this a dead battery????

and how do you jump my car (e36) I know the actuall battery is in the back but their are terminals in the front.... which side do I use and aslo how long does it take cause ive never done this before...

And if I need a new battery can I just buy any old Interstate or do I have to get one from BMW?

#2 ·
The question I have is how do i jump the damn car

#3 ·
connect the two positive terminals, hook up one negative terminal to the battery on the car that works, hook up the other negative terminal to a section of body frame that has no paint on it.

#4 ·
once u get the car started leave it running for while and drive at higher engine speeds then u normally would. your alternater should fully recharge the battery within 30-40min of driving. unless your battery is extremely old, u probably wont need to replace it

#5 ·
i replyed to your PM . also its a very simple procedure. find a donor car to jump from preferably a car with a bigger battery so that you dont blow something in his car etc etc etc.
now hook the postive then the negative to the donor cars battery. *caution- dont touch the leads after hooking battery.. also dont ground the postive side.

next expose your battery and hook the positive and then negative to your battery. make sure that on both cars the clamps are on tight and snug.
next jump in your car and have someone in the other car reving the engine a little. turn the key like you are gonna start the car and then take the jumper cables off from both cars.
run your car at idle for about 2 or 3 minutes then go for a drive , i say drive for about 15 minutes to half an hour to give the alternator time to recharge the battery somewhat. also its kinda common sense but turn the radio and all other excessive power sources off during this whole operation.

later that day go and try to start the car again. if it fails to then i think you have to replace your batter or refill it with water. check FAQ on that procedure.
if at any time the car dies while driving it. i think you could have an alternator problem.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Furious@May 19 2003, 08:23 AM
i replyed to your PM . also its a very simple procedure. find a donor car to jump from preferably a car with a bigger battery so that you dont blow something in his car etc etc etc.
now hook the postive then the negative to the donor cars battery. *caution- dont touch the leads after hooking battery.. also dont ground the postive side.

next expose your battery and hook the positive and then negative to your battery. make sure that on both cars the clamps are on tight and snug.
next jump in your car and have someone in the other car reving the engine a little. turn the key like you are gonna start the car and then take the jumper cables off from both cars.
run your car at idle for about 2 or 3 minutes then go for a drive , i say drive for about 15 minutes to half an hour to give the alternator time to recharge the battery somewhat. also its kinda common sense but turn the radio and all other excessive power sources off during this whole operation.

later that day go and try to start the car again. if it fails to then i think you have to replace your batter or refill it with water. check FAQ on that procedure.
if at any time the car dies while driving it. i think you could have an alternator problem.
don't hook up both the negative and positive at the same time, do positive first, then negative. That way you can't short them together. and the negative on the car with the dead battery goes to the frame to ground it.

#12 ·
yeh I tried to jump it and it didn't work.....

Its wierd all the lights go on and the radio plays but the car doesn't Start... what else could it be??? My dad is going to come down tommorow and see what he can do I was rushing and don't have time right now also the car is in the garage and its hard to get to...

#14 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi+May 19 2003, 08:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (triggrhaapi @ May 19 2003, 08:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Furious@May 19 2003, 08:23 AM

don't hook up both the negative and positive at the same time, do positive first, then negative. That way you can't short them together. and the negative on the car with the dead battery goes to the frame to ground it. [/b][/quote]
sorry thats what i ment. i ran out of time when posting this. i dint get a chance to re-read it. (on the way to the bar when i was doing this post)

#15 ·
i don't think its the battery anymore......

I jumped it and it didn't start and when I turn the key it seems like its getting enough power but the engine doesn't vrooom.... ???

Is it the starter or altenator???? Are these hard to fix???? Are their any other things that it could be?

#16 ·
Ok I had my dad look at the car and we couldn't get it to start....

Its not the battery, altenator, starter, fuel pump....

My dad says its something electrical.... The fuses seemed fine and we don't have a service manual so its getting towed tommorow.... ;)

WTF is IT!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Originally posted by RedTape@May 20 2003, 08:29 AM
Ok I had my dad look at the car and we couldn't get it to start....

Its not the battery, altenator, starter, fuel pump....

My dad says its something electrical.... The fuses seemed fine and we don't have a service manual so its getting towed tommorow.... ;)

WTF is IT!!!!!!!!!!!
this is a shot in the dark but it may be ur air filter. modern dry-element filters wont let the engine run or start once they get dirty. ;)

#18 ·
we tried Starter Fluid.... Spray

#19 ·
does the engine crank when you turn the key? My starter has some issues about not starting at times (when its really hot or the engine was just turned on then back off). You might try holding the key in the start position for upto an entire minute. Nothing happens and then suddenly it comes to life. If that works its time to consider a new starter though.

#20 ·
The car is gone... It went to a reputable repair shop... I am hopeing they are gental and I wont have to open up a jar of vaseline.... :blink:

#21 ·
yeh well the car is fine now and it had NOTHING to do with the battery....

The mechanic said it was Crank Sensor???? so $764.34 down the drain when it was all said and done... 500 for labor :blink:

G
#22 ·
Originally posted by RedTape@May 25 2003, 07:12 AM

The mechanic said it was Crank Sensor???? so $764.34 down the drain when it was all said and done... 500 for labor :blink:
i guess they didnt use KY, they mustuve used gravel or something as lubricant

#23 ·
Originally posted by RedTape@May 25 2003, 07:12 AM

Where exactly would the 'Crank Sensor' be located? Did you check the box on the receipt that said "I want my old parts back"?

Imagine, if you will, that the 'Crank Sensor' is located in the starter .... :cry

#25 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@May 26 2003, 03:43 AM
the crank sensor is an ignition part. the full name is Crank position sensor. it's used to calculate ignition timing.
is it hard to replace....

The main reason i sent it to a shop was because I had no idea what was wrong with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.