DDE/City Light Switch - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Been here a while.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
(Thread Starter)
DDE/City Light Switch

Aight... just as the title says... I hate electricity...

I want a switch... so that I can either have my eyes on with the parking lights... or the city lights...

I have ZKW w/ Thin line DDE and city lights installed just not wired...

Someone figure this out.

Thanks,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
so basically, u want.... parkinglights and angel eyes... or... city lights with angel eyes??? i don't get it?

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Just wire the city lights wire (on ZKW they are yellow) into the 6 o'clock hole on the back of the ZKW input. And splice the other end into the parking lights. What will happen is your city lights will come on with the DDEs and the parking lights when the parking light switch is ON (I'm assuming you have your DDE already spliced-wired to the parking light switch). If you want only the city lights to come on independent of everything else I would splice-wire that to the parking lights and unwire the parking lights. Then extend the DDE wire on a separate wire running to you dash somewhere and put a switch on it then run it back out and splice the new end into the parking light/city light splice.

You can arrange this a variety of ways so that one item can always be on with the parking switch on (say your DDE), one item can be always off because it is unwired (say your parking lights), and one item can be choosen to be off/on ONLY when the parking switch is on (say the city lights). So this would give you just the DDEs when the parking switch is on and both the DDEs and City when both the parking switch is on and the extra City Light's switch that you've installed is on.

Examine this and you'll see you can substite all the elements to have the one you want on alone with either switch. Since that is your goal. I already did this mod on my exterior and interior footwell lighting. It's pretty easy if you keep it simple and unplug your batteries before you even look under your hood.

Good luck little buddy.
Don't electricute yourself and remember the Dizzle's no. 1 rule: "a clean workplace is a safe workplace"

Last edited by Delmarco; 02-04-2006 at 02:35 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
(Thread Starter)
I want to switch between the two if I can...

Les

#5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
Easy as that Del... thanks.. but you speak gibberish to me...

Tell me what I need to do... so that when I switch my parking lights on... my parking lights come on.. and either of the two: city lights or DDE come on.. and I chose which one.

Laymen terns please...

I hate wires.

Les

#6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
what's your current set up?

I'm assuming you have your DDEs spliced to your parking lights. But it seems that you don't have that. I don't have the DDEs on my headlight but I know that ZKWs DDEs and City Lights have the same wire sources that extend out from the unit so that you can splice that DDE/or City Light wire with the parking light wire.

Do you have the wires for the city lights at all? It seems as if you don't have that.

1. Either way the...you can connect the wire if you have it (or another wire) to the 6 -o clock pin on your ZKWs. That pin powers the city light. Once the ZKW unit's ground wire is hooked in already you do not need to ground the city lights.

2. Now if you DO NOT want the city light on a switch and you just want it come on regulary when you turn on your parking light switch take that wire and run directly to the parking wire that powers the parking light (for the R ZKW unit use the R parking light and for the L ZKW use the L parking light). You'll do the same with the DDE wires.

3. About The Parking Light Splice: Make sure you splice it to the "parking light power wire" and not the "turn signal power wire". I can't give you a color code since these wires are not the same color in all BMWs. But you can pop out your fender blinker light and look at the color of that wire that powers that blinker. That wire is the "blinker power wire" and will be the same color of wire you WILL NOT splice at the parking light bulb area. Splice your wires to the other color wire at the parking light bulb since that other color wire will be the power wire for the parking light function of the parking light bulb unit.

(In the end you will have all power wires for the DDE and the CITY splice to this wire. Since this power wire is powered directly from the BMW OEM parking light dial switch when that dial is turned onto the parking light.)

4. About having one thing on: If you want just the DDEs on you will thread that specific DDE power wire to your dash (that I do not know how) and cut the wire and insert a switch that bridges the ends of wire together (like in a circuit). Then thread the opposite end of that specific wire back out and splice it with the power-wire of the parking bulb.

5. What the switch does: When you get into your car, you flip the parking lights on. Only your city lights and your parking lights come on. You drive around for awhile until you want the DDEs on. You then will have that switch to flip the DDEs on at your lesiure. You can also do it so that your city lights is connected to a switch in your dash.

Les,
There is no way how to do it. I can't tell you where to drill holes for the switch since you can put it pretty much anywhere. By your cigarette lighter on the center console there are cut out spaces for switches (also where ASC and heated seats switches are located) for stuff like this and behind that console (once you remove it) it may be pretty easy to see where the wires can some through to connect to your DDE switch.

That's the best I know.
But thats the basic idea of the DDE and City Light Circuit on the Parking Light power wire splice.
Good Luck...
have a shop do the wiring for since it will be cheap and quick.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
Never mind my PM.. thanks Del.

Les

#8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
My DDE's are already hooked up... they use the 6 o'clock possition.. and the city lights are left with no wire that I remember.. as I havnt looked at them for a while... though.. the bulbs are installed.

I will go through this tomorrow... as it is raining at the moment.. and dark.

Les

#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
if u got them through umnitza they cut the city light wires inside the zkw housing cause they think u dont need city lights. I agree with them. If u want to wire them up you will have to take out your housing and wire the city lights back up using another wire.

So lets say u get your city lights repaired, you need a three way switch. Up on switch= angel eyes, middle = off, down = city lights, pretty simple

#10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
See Del... Buuhh99's explaination is marvelous.

Les

#11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 PM
quality

Garage
i give up. you never mentioned you had the DDEs wired already in the 6 oclock. nor you got them from umnitza. nor that you wanted a three way switch for all items. I was trying to give you an idea of the wiring schematics...
since you said wiring was confusing and not the switch part.
good luck anyway...
i tried.

#12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
It was more of a joke del... calm down

Les

#13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
I put $5 on DelMarco Get him:

:lol:
#14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWERKEN
If you are looking for a kill switch DIY check out our installation resources section here:

http://jlevistreetwerks.com/store/in...427bbc632a49b0

Call Toll Free: 1.888.JLEVISW
PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
#15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Been here a while.

(Thread Starter)
Thanks bro.... all the information is great.

Les

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)