This will be a WHOLE lot easier if you have the tilt wheel option in your car. do you? I pray for you. Also, these lights that are out, does it only include the little fog light types or including the whole lcd accros the bottom cluster? the lcd CANT BE REPLACED ADN YOU WILL NEED A NEW DASH IF THAT IS WHAT ISN'T WORKING. tO GET IT OUT THERE ARE TWO SCREWS UP IN THE FRONT OF THE DASH AT THE TOP. oh crap i pressed caps and im too lazy to go uncaps it lol. anywho unscrew those and slide it out sideways. if you can tilt your wheel, it will slide out sideways between the wheel and the dashboard, if not you will have to stick ur hands in there and hopefully pick the right bulb (tough). good luck.
I have taken my apart yesterday. It was easier than I thought. Here is the step by step
1. Remove the two phillips screws in the dashboard right above the clear palstic of your gauges.
2. Pry out the whole instrument cluster. In order to do that stick a knife between the instrument cluster and the dashboard (where the phillips screws were) and push it up carefully. The instrument cluster should come out.
3. Disconnect the three plugs in the back of it. You won't have much room to do that, unless you take off the steering wheel but it should be enough. Just turn the steering wheel so that it gives you the maximum room. In order to disconnect the plugs push the plastic clamps (braces) up.
4. Take out the instrument cluster completely. Again, it'll be tight with the steering wheel on, but it is possible.
The rest of the work you can do on your desk....
5. On the back of the instrument cluster you will have to take out three torx screws.
6. Open the two plastic clams on either side up and to the outside.
7. Once you remove the seal (serial # sticker) that is on it you will be able to open the instrument cluster.
8. Now you should be able to see all the bulbs. Find the right one and change it!
i'm going tomorrow to the dealer to pick up a few little things, gauge bulbs included...i know they overcharge for most everything, but i don't know how expensive they can be for light bulbs. Anyway, I'll post the prices tomorrow.
I just did my dash light replacement today. Piece of cake and I love how bmw wiring harness unclips from the dash, so slick other car company's could learn a thing or 2. All you need is a philips screw driver and a small butter knife!!! Out in under 10 minutes.
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Apr 7 2004, 02:41 PM I'd think it's more involved. The bulbs are normally white lighted, and the orange colour comes from the coloured plastic inside the instrument cluster!
correct you have to change filiments on the dash. lots of people want to know how to change the colour scheme but to be honest its very hard to do and some bulbs, your not gonna find in any colour but white. you would have to put a coloured jacket on the bulb itself.
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.