Damage to flywheel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4inPWR is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Damage to flywheel

So my clutch has still not been replaced and I finally had some time to sit down and take care of the car. I ordered a new clutch now and im waiting on it to be shipped. Someone told me that if I kept driving the car with the cooked clutch I could be damaging my flywheel as well. But I doubt this is the case since my clutch doesn't slip or anything yet it just catches pretty close to the top of the pedal and also I have to be very slow and smooth with releasing it otherwise it will catch give a bit of power for a brief second than it would seem as if it disenage and then catch again. Is it possible that the flywheel is damaged by now? It's been probably about a month. Also now if I take the car with a decent amount of acceleration in first and second, maybe third sometimes I get this massive vibration from somewhere at the rear. My friend has a 328is turboed to shits and said that he's snapped about 4 bolts on his center differential already, but one mechanic I went to said it could very well be the hanger bearing as well. Is there any way to try and differentiate and pin point the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Your flywheel could very easily be cooked by now. If so, there will likely be blue spots on it. Safest thing to do would be to order it and have it replaced while the transmission is out anyway.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Theres a reasonable possibility that your flywheel is toasted. Is a shop installing the flywheel for you? Theres a lot of arguments whether or not the stock flywheel can be resurfaced. A good portion of people say no. Many argue yes and have done it successfully. Yours may be beyond the point of repair.

Tell your 328 buddy to buy a M3 differential and input flange as they have more differential input bolts and are essentially stronger.

Have your mechanic take a look at the differential. Make sure nothing is loose and possibly have your diff fluid changed out.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
n00b

4inPWR is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
ok thanks guys, also i might be buying a used clutch and flywheel from a local foreign car shop because of my financial status at the moment. what should i look for to know if the clutch stuff and the flywheel is still in fair condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)