BMW Werkz banner

Custom Dinan/lowe's Intake

11K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  325is1994 
#1 ·
ok i spent $60 bucks and have a dinan type intake, heres how

1. i went to bmw dealer and purchased a 4" inlet X5 dinan cone air filter
2. went to lowe's and bought a 3" abs 45 degree elbow(found in plumbing department, one side is 4" and the other side is 3"), (2)3"-4" hose clamp, 4"-5" hose clamp and i also bought a 3" no hub coupling with the rubber sleeve on the inside
3. take out the stock airbox
4. take rubber sleeve out of the 3" hub coupling(you dont need the coupling, i went ahead and returned it without the rubber sleeve for full refund) and connected the 45 degree elbow and the mass air meter together, hose clamped the elbow side and mass air meter side to keep them together
5. put the 4" dinan X5 air filter onto the 4" side of the abs elbow and hose clamped it real tight

there you go, for $62 i got myself a dinan intake

i was thinking of taking some rain gutter and running it from the hole next to your foglights in the front bumper up to where the filter sits so it can suck the cold air in from the outside source, any suggestions on how i might go about it

i noticed a really significant difference in power and it sounds awesome and what makes it better is its DINAN

here are the pics of my intake

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
i dont know about oiling the filter, never heard anything about that, please ellaborate

#6 ·
the filter from my bmw dealer was 54.00 after tax, thats the expense right there the rest was under 10

yeah my engine bay is filthy, i had it detailed at 40,000 miles and right now im at 71,2xx ill be detailing again at 80,000

#7 ·
looks nice man im considering about doing that for my E36 M..is it possible?

#8 ·
do you have a 3" mass meter or are the m's a little bigger

#11 ·
those ebay air filters are cheap pieces of crap, they dont really filter anything, you might think its helpin but its not, its sucking hot air and that mesh crap allows little particles to enter the motor, very bad, i had a k&n on the end of my maf but then i made this intake and could tell a difference in power between the two, take that ebay filter off for real, that paper in it is basically for looks that mesh screen is the only thing filtering anything

#14 ·
That's not a Dinan style CAI, Dinan CAI go gown into the bumper like the pictures from robbbins6103. Dinan stytle intakes don't need a heat shield because they get air from lower in the engine bay, yours looks like more of a RAM CAI which suck in hot air if you don't have a shield

#15 ·
i didnt necessarily mean it was a dinan intake, what i was talking about was i used a dinan cone air filter that was made for a X5 cause they are 4" inlet

#16 ·
You might want to pull out the plastic hose that leads from the kidneys into the OE airbox. It will allow more airflow into your engine bay.

#18 ·
Robbins has the real Dinan intake. There are a lot of kits out there with the pipe and cone filter like the one you have for $100 or less. The difference is, the Dinan intake is positioned lower and away from the engine and actually works, whereas yours is still dogged by the heat produced by the engine. It "looks" great, but the setup you have won't actually give you any extra horses, you will actually lose power. Don't be fooled by the increase in noise. You have to find a way to conseal the filter and keep it seperate from the rest of the engine bay. Eg. heat shield or position the filter further down where the brake ducts are such as what I have done.

Don't meant to crap on your project, but I have a lot of experience with intakes. When runnin them on a dyno (especially when the car isn't moving) a heat shield makes a world of difference. An open style filter that isn't a true CAI or is run without a heat shield, does nothing more than make a lot of noise.

You have a lot of room down there infront of the filter. Don't be afraid to use it. Relocate the horn and you can push the filter futher to the left and down into that hole where the brake ducts are located. Position the filter right above the brake duct if possible. Use silicon hoses to attach more pipes instead of buying expensive 1 peice pipes. You should consider installing a heat shield.

Here's mine, I made it myself :) Instead of "D" for Dinan, it's "B" for Bryan ;)

As you can see, the horn has been relocated, the filter positioned about half way down. I made use of the fog light ducts, removed the fog lights and replaced them with intake inlet ducts. The other side is for radiator cooling.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Nov 26 2004, 10:32 AM
Robbins has the real Dinan intake. There are a lot of kits out there with the pipe and cone filter like the one you have for $100 or less. The difference is, the Dinan intake is positioned lower and away from the engine and actually works, whereas yours is still dogged by the heat produced by the engine. It "looks" great, but the setup you have won't actually give you any extra horses, you will actually lose power. Don't be fooled by the increase in noise. You have to find a way to conseal the filter and keep it seperate from the rest of the engine bay. Eg. heat shield or position the filter further down where the brake ducts are such as what I have done.

Don't meant to crap on your project, but I have a lot of experience with intakes. When runnin them on a dyno (especially when the car isn't moving) a heat shield makes a world of difference. An open style filter that isn't a true CAI or is run without a heat shield, does nothing more than make a lot of noise.

You have a lot of room down there infront of the filter. Don't be afraid to use it. Relocate the horn and you can push the filter futher to the left and down into that hole where the brake ducts are located. Position the filter right above the brake duct if possible. Use silicon hoses to attach more pipes instead of buying expensive 1 peice pipes. You should consider installing a heat shield.

Here's mine, I made it myself :)

[snapback]237785[/snapback]​

i swear your so proud of yours everytime a thread like this comes up im just waiting for you to post some of your pics

#20 ·
Originally posted by B3M2W5i+Nov 26 2004, 10:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B3M2W5i @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Autotechnica@Nov 26 2004, 10:32 AM

i swear your so proud of yours everytime a thread like this comes up im just waiting for you to post some of your pics
[snapback]237789[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I am proud of it because frankly, it works. And that's more than I can say for a lot of intakes I've seen installed on other cars. I've gone through almost 10 different intake designs before I finally got this one dyno tested, it works.

I just can't stress how important the use of a heat shield is. You don't have to listen to me. But facts are facts, with an intake design without a heat shield or CAI, you will more than likely lose power.

Bry

#21 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica+Nov 26 2004, 10:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autotechnica @ Nov 26 2004, 10:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by B3M2W5i@Nov 26 2004, 10:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Autotechnica
@Nov 26 2004, 10:32 AM

[snapback]237789[/snapback]​

I am proud of it because frankly, it works. And that's more than I can say for a lot of intakes I've seen installed on other cars. I've gone through almost 10 different intake designs before I finally got this one dyno tested, it works.

I just can't stress how important the use of a heat shield is. You don't have to listen to me. But facts are facts, with an intake design without a heat shield or CAI, you will more than likely lose power.

Bry
[snapback]237792[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

how much of an increase in hp did it give you?

#22 ·
i know im not losing power, my car is getting up a lot quicker than waht it did before the intake, i did just have a k&n on the end of the maf, i can tell a difference between the two, and a big difference compared to the stock airbox

#23 ·
Yeah, if you look in my second pic, the red square is where I had to relocate my horn. Also the CAI won't do a whole lot unless you have the software to support the extra amount of air going into your engine. The MAF and stock ECU can only do so much. Your engine is just gonna run lean until you do this....so go get a chip/software and really get the most out of that CAI.

TGIF!!!
-DR

#24 ·
i have a chip and m3 exhaust

#26 ·
where can i get a heat shield for a decent price, i think 150 for some plastic arranged in the shape of a square is bullshit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.