Originally Posted by dementievafan
ok maybe just the ppl who actually know these basic knowledge
1. i have a e36 coupe, 97 328is - what kind of hid's do i need?
2. are polyeurothane bumpers good?
3. can you really get OEM not (oem fit) clear tails?
4. whats the avg lifetime of a normal bmw hid kit
thanks in advance again
1. First you need to purchase European ellipoidal headlights. Basically you need those headlights with the little focusing glass in it. Some brands that are popular are ZKW , DJ Auto, and DEPO's. I'd recommend staying away from DJ Auto. My friend has had quite a bit of problems with them.
Then you'll need an HID kit. Good brands include XTec and Apexcone. These include a bulb, a ballast, and an ignitor. Some brands have the ignitor built into the ballast unit.
Then you need to decide what temperature you want. This decides what color HID and usable light output.
3000K - alright, very yellow
4300K - best output, whiteish blue
6000K - bluish
8000k - purple
anything above 8000K should nto even be considered. In fact dont even pick 8000K
2. Polyurethane is great. If you're looking for a M3 bumper made of polyurethane make sure the sport lip isn't integrated, unless you never plan on having it removed.
Stay away from fiberglass bumpers. They'll chip and crack faster than you can say hippopotamus.
3. Yes you can. They were original parts on European e36's.
4. Shit if I know. The bulb I believe should last about an average of 7000-8000 hours. Flicking the HID's on and off often does decrease the lifetime of the bulbs, although I couldnt tell you the quantitative amount on that.