Cooling System PROBLEM - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

╗ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Pirelliz7 is on a distinguished road
Cooling System PROBLEM

Hi guys,

I am looking for help with the cooling system on my 1998 328i
Here is the story:

I was driving and all of a sudden I see smoke and anti-freeze shoot up from under my hood.
When I looked, I noticed the hose that was connected to the rad, came off and the plastic on the rad where the hose goes into the rad was broken.
So I changed my rad.
A few weeks after, same thing, the hose popped off, this time it was not broken, but turns out there was a crack in the coolant overflow tank.
So I replaced the coolant overflow tank
I also replaced the water pump and fan clutch
A few weeks after, driving on the high way, my eyes have been on the temp gauge ever since I changed my coolant overflow tank. Everything seemed normal. Out of the blue, the car spits out coolant and shuts off.
Turns out the Rad explodedů

My question is could a bad thermostat cause all this? It is the ONLY thing left that I have not replaced. If not, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY CARů

PLEASE all e36 techs HELP!!!
Pirelliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
This is an answer/reply I got in another forum... does this sound right?

" I dont want to get you worried, but the only thing left is a headgasket problem, or cracked head. The therostat should have a safety on it, so it will open somewhat, even when bad. If all those parts keep blowing up, it indicates too much pressure in the cooling system, mostly caused by blown headgasket. Even a slow leak will cause it to build pressure over time, its a notorious problem on Subaru's so i had to do this more then once! "
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Well I'd say there's some chance that makes sense. But I suppose you may be down to needing some shop help. Is there any sign of oil in the coolant or vice versa?

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me like the head gasket or a crack in the head im afraid.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
What is involved in reparing that?
Cost/time?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Do a google search.........it will show you how to do it

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirelliz7 View Post
What is involved in reparing that?
Cost/time?
It depends on whether you intend to tackle this job yourself or have it taken into a BMW mechanic. I would suggest that if you aren't very mechanically inclined that you bite the bullet and send her in to the mechanic. It will be pricey but it will save you a lot of un-needed stress.

If you relish the challenge of trying the inner workings of fine german engineering...
You should get yourself the HG kit. You could get yourself just the HG but if you've got the thing open that far, you might as well be replacing all your O-rings and seals related to this job...The kit will cost you $170-$300.
You'll also want to have yourself a new set of head bolts. DO NOT REUSE THE OLD BOLTS...$14-$20.
The job can be done without the BMW special tools (TDC locking pin, Timing chain tensioner, Camshaft alignment tool, and...if you're replacing the valve seals, the camshaft bearing compressor tool) but this isn't a recommended practice. The tools themselves can be had at least for the price of a good mechanic.
Expect your car to be inoperable for at least 3 days depending on the amount of time per day you have to spend on it...it took me a total of 9 hours all together with no special tools and no shop to work in (regular backyard garage).
If you don't have a DIY manual (Bentley or Haynes or Chilton), you can find yourself some pretty informative articles here.

Do make sure that it is the HG causing your grief....it would be a shame to go through all this to find that there was no problems with your head gasket in the first place. E36s are, unfortunately, notorious for cooling system problems.
Good luck with your endeavors, whichever you chose to go with.

Last edited by Shadetree; 04-29-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)