BMW Werkz banner

coolant dropping -- due to broken cap

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RedBeemer95 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share this with you all regarding my coolant dropping solution that I figured yesterday. Even though I changed the waterpump , thermostat, a few weeks ago and filled with the new coolant, After topping the coolant by running the engine for 2-3 days. I see a coolant drop regularly. EVen though I went and checked under the car. which seems to be dry all over the placces. The coolant seems to be droppping regularly. Last weekend before going out for a long weekend, I topped off with the coolant (I guess I have over filled the tank and just ignored that being a little more). any way while on my way back after the weekend my engine got over heated and the fan blades were ripped off. so, i took the shoulder and noticed that the tube running from the overflowtank and the radiator (which is a small tube at the top of the radiator) detached and hanging -- which might caused the fan blades to cut. any way I towed to my home and got all the parts (coolant , fan blade) and was about to replace --- What I found is the cap (not sure of the exact name of the damn thing) which is in between the readiator bleed screw and the overflow tank was broken. So, I think it is due to this reason my coolant is dropping???

The reason I am posting it as a new is because, I didn't read any where to make sure the filler cap is good (which I ignored). So, this might help for the future elimination process.

Advisors!!! correct me if my assumption is wrong. I am going to fix all (changing coolant , cap and fan ) and get the car running (If everything is good). and I will post you the updates.

Q- When I removed all my coolant I got only a half gallon of coolant from the system. I know I might have run the engine (even after radiator tube is out from the overfil tank ).. which might have caused the coolant to flow out. But my question is Did any of the parts like water pump and thermostat has gone bad (or does it needs replacement) running the car in that cond ??? Please give me your opinions ASAP. Since I am going to fix it this weekend.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is just my experience, lacking as it may be...hehe You may not have as much coolant out of your car as you'd thought you would because there is another drain plug to get the coolant out of the block itself (someone can likely tell you exactly where the second drain plug is located for your model, or you can find it in your manual), as opposed to just the coolant out of the radiator. There is usually only about a half gallon coming out if you don't drain the block as well as the other. If you just changed the thermostat and water pump, I wouldn't think one instance of running hot would kill them off again so soon. Again, just my opinion/experience, but hope it helps. :)

#4 ·
I just replaced the fan, Filler cap, and coolant. Everything looks fine with out any leakage after driving for about 30-40 miles. But for the first few miles like 0-10 the temp needle is moving from center line to the 3/4 line its doing with no reasons i.e it slowly moves from .5 to 3/4 and then comes back to .5 and stay for a while and then moves back to the 3/4 and comes back to .5. Not sure why .. but just wanted to make sure that this is not problem with any of the cooling system. And after 10-60 miles of running I see no fluctuations (the needle stays at the center which is good to see). I became sick looking into this coolant problems for a while. Hope I might not have any for some time.

Other than the temp needle problem I dint notice any for now. and keep adding the coolant after a few mins of drive.

Thanks guys, Once again I woudn't have done this without your support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.