The controversial VTEC powered e36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SuperNewb is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
The controversial VTEC powered e36

Hey First off guys.. I'm new here and I'm a super newb in cars.. I'm only 17 and looking to get my first car this February which hopefully would be an e36. I always loved the look of the beamer and beamers are my favorite brand of cars, and I'd kidnap a kid for a beamer but under the hood I would rather choose a ricer. Beamers are my favorite brand of cars but my all time favorite car is the Toyota supra.. So recently i was looking through youtube and came across the VTEC powered e36 which really made me so after i saw this video it really inspired me to buy an e36 and do an engine swap.. but i wanted to get a voice on it first before i blow so much money on it.. and i thought about how great of a project it'd be...

For those that don't know what I'm talking about heres the link...YouTube - BMW-Honda Hybrid :: F20C VTEC powered E36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

MEDSTUDENT87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MEDSTUDENT87
No offense but if you want a BMW it should stay a BMW. If you want V-TEC then get a Honda. I am not poo pooing Honda just you can't have your cake and eat it too.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
bimmer
#4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
beamer = bmw motorcycle
bimmer = bmw car

do what you want - it's your money and your car
i'm not sure how easy/hard it'll be to do something like that, and how much it will run you
Is it worth it in my opinion? If that's what you want then yes, otherwise i wouldnt do it.

People who say that vtec should stay in honda are too biased i guess.
people put ls1 engines into bimmers, why not put a honda one

my recommendation: LS1 bmw. You get better handling and insane hp potential for less money

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 PM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
why not just get a supra..? youd be destroying its soul... in my opinion.
what kind of "vtec" engine would you be putting in it?

#6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
dude, no, plz god no, if u want a e36 and want to swap, put a m5 motor in it, theres ur project, have fun

#7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear Member

kman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
beamer = bmw motorcycle
bimmer = bmw car

do what you want - it's your money and your car
i'm not sure how easy/hard it'll be to do something like that, and how much it will run you
Is it worth it in my opinion? If that's what you want then yes, otherwise i wouldnt do it.

People who say that vtec should stay in honda are too biased i guess.
people put ls1 engines into bimmers, why not put a honda one

my recommendation: LS1 bmw. You get better handling and insane hp potential for less money
ive never liked the idea of ls1's going into bimmers. i think that its just wrong, i dont care what kind of power they make, shit even worse a honda motor. i wont respect it. sorry. dude just get a 328 or a 325, fix it up you'll be good

kman: THE CHERRY BOMB GLASSPACK GUY!
GLASSPACKIN SINCE 12/2007

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
#8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Ok... putting a vtech engine into a bmw... why? You have the best looking honda powered car ever. Why not? I'm not going to say "you can't do that to a bimmer" but with the exception of having something really different I do not see the point. You're not going to get that much more power over a regular 6cly e36 and for the money you would end up spending to pay someone to do the work you could just get an M3 instead.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Hmm...not for me.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 AM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
yeah, for shizzle, Im assuming since you are a self proclaimed car noob that you will not be performing the swap yourself and that you will be paying someone professionally to do it + the cost of the engine + cost of the original e36 + probably a ton of fabrication just to make it fit nicely. why not just buy an M3?
that way youll have an ///M powered car instead of a honda powered BMW. Its just wrong... those homies in the video... even if it was a 318... ...why??

#11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Two things...

A) Vtec is a reverse engineered weaker and less superior form of BMW's Vanos..
B) That car is actually slower with that engine than with the stock M3 engine for that year...

if you are impressed with the speed and acceleration of that car i feel sorry for you. Go ride in a real E36 M3 and you will realize just how much of a waste of money that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman
ive never liked the idea of ls1's going into bimmers. i think that its just wrong, i dont care what kind of power they make, shit even worse a honda motor. i wont respect it. sorry. dude just get a 328 or a 325, fix it up you'll be good
see this i hate...i love LSX powered Bimmers...theres no better, lighter bang for the buck. A true car ENTHUSIAST isn't blinded by a brand...rather instead judges something based on logic, build quality, performance, cost....

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 11-07-2007 at 01:04 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 AM
5th Gear Member

lol i knew youd jump all over this one.

#13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
no offense but it's a dumb idea to put a honda engine in a bmw. really just a novelty. there are lots of great bmw engines that actually have torque that you can use instead. and they wont sound like a weedwacker. listen to teh pirate.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 AM
5th Gear Member

my bimmerwerkz motto is as follows:

"when in doubt, listen to teh pirate"

#15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
alex, dude wtf the sig

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)