Considering My First Bmw - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
texan_176 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm new to this forum so hello to all.

I decided to get some feedback from current owners of the E36 platform before I decide on getting or not getting a BMW.

I've owned various American and Japanese cars over the years. We even had a VW classic bug in the early 90s.

Current cars are 91 Toyota MR2, 95 Acura Legend Sedan, 94 Mitsubishi 3000GT, and 95 Toyota Celica GT.

The other day I was at the dealer that sold me 2 of my cars when I saw a 95 BMW 318is for 6 grand.

My Celica is now near 165K miles and running well but I've pretty much done to it everything I wanted and now with no projects it is kind of boring to own. I still like it and all but it's not the toy it used to be.

This BMW has 110K miles on it. It's a 5 speed black on tan leather. I think I can talk them into somewhere between 5 and 5.25 grand as a total drive out price. I test drove it and liked the way it felt on me. It's sort of more an adult car than a celica and since I'm getting older my taste has changed I guess.

What are the nightmare BMW stories?

Is this 1.8 engine a dud or a rock?

A guy at work has a 96 318ti nad last week his heater core exploded under the dash and set him back $500. I want to know if this sort of thing is common.

I have driven the car and liked how it handles compared to my Celica because with the RWD it feels more precise. The Celica kind of has a thing where the front end goes exactly where you make it go but the rear end is always a few seconds behind in following orders.

The 1.8 is not enough to push your internal organs back in your body but it is enough for getting 60 in under 8 seconds in my estimation. I really do not intend to hot rod this car should I buy it. I just always admired the E36 coupe for the classy and simple lines. BMW enthusiasts always criticized the interior saying it was plasticy and cheapo but I have no major gripes with it. The glove box area looks like it is from a Kia but that's a small thing.

The only mods I would do would be to get the BMW "K" style wheels and
run 225/50/16 and maybe buy the European headlights which are glass
and have low beam projectors. The DOT versions are plastic that
tends to cloud up and/or leak with time. If I won a few hundred
bucks in a lottery I may add an M3 bumper cover just to be different
and casue the unpainted lower half of the bumper is kind of fadded
out black which looks horrible on a glossy black car.

Of course, I'd get the windows blacked out and add a Blaupunkt stereo
just to keep it all German.

These guys are also selling a 325iC which is red on tan leather with
a 5 speed for around 7 grand. The leather on the top of the back seat
is torn and the driver's seat is all cracked up. I'm pretty sure the
top leaks on this car. Anywho, I don't want to mess with a
convertible. I may go back and just test drive it to compare the 2.5
to the 1.8.

They also have a 91 (older body style) 325iC white on blue leather
for real cheap ($4900) with low miles.

Here are some pics to see if you are a yahoo member:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/think_176/album?.dir=5143

I'm looking to maybe buy the Black one. Is this a good deal or is it better to just wait to find a 325iS manual?
texan_176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
first off.. to the forums...

anyways, as i allways tell new members, bmws are not like every other car.. bmw's take a lot of money to maintain.. sure hope you got some..

i don't think an 11 year old 318 should cost 6k... i garentee you can get a 325 for that price... look around.. there all over the place!

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
texan_176 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trust me I know about cars that cost money to maintain.

In the 3 years I have had my 3000GT I've put into it about 6 grand just to keep it running right. I have done NOTHING for show or vanity....this was money just to repair the electronic suspension, do a major engine service, etc.

I've seen that you get what you pay for. My GT costs me about 5 times what my Toyotas do to run but it is 5 times the fun.

This is sort of the reason I am thinking of an upgrade to a Bimmer.

Some folks in my famliy have 5 and 7 series models with all of the bells and whistles and that's cool but right now I just want the most simple E36 coupe that can be had. If a 318 has way less electronic and techy stuff in it than a 325 or 328 then I would lean 318 hard.

Whenever I get into a new carline I like to buy their basic models first and become familiar with things before I move on to more complex and technical cars.

I hope to own a late model 750iL and an 850CSi at some point when I know Bimmers in and out as I know other lines. But, for right now I want to start simple.

Besides just the 4 cly vs 6cly and bigger wheels, brakes, tires, suspension, does a 325 add tons of stuff that can go wrong like electronic suspension, complex ABS system, etc?
texan_176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
318 = dud
325 = faster dud
328 = stud
m3 = pimp

good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
How can u still call a 318i or a 325i a dud?? a well worked 325 will own a stud 328i :P personal opinion look around, maintaince costs arent that high if u are a DIY man, just the parts are a bit on the steep side. If power isnt a big issue and you are after looks and style, go the 318i the engine is built like a rock, and even though these guys knock em, take it for a drive and i think you will be happy with the performance
mmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
wow I'm sorry performance on a 318 makes it a dud especially if it's an auto :P I've driven 2 of them and maybe it's because I normally drive a "supped" up 328 but the 1.8l seems weak as hell to me. but although, that engine does have plenty of potential especially since it has a good weight/hp ratio.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
the 318 is not a dud. .... the engine is bullet proof... just doesnt have the balls. as for the 325 i like mine.

David
Old 02-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
A 318 isnt a dud.. its just slow, the engine will outlast a 6cyl.. but that doesnt mean the 6cyl's arnt going to last, i know of some people on this forum that have 270+ on their 325 engine and theyre still running well.

Go with the 325 if you want good power, the 2.5 has enough for any kind of street driving and fuck what these poeple say.. 2.5's are fucking fast.. although i havent driven many cars in my day.

The 318 will last forever, and rebuilding the engine will almost certainly be more simple than the 325.

In my opinion the m50 (6 cyl) is the perfect mix of reliability and performance.

BTW you can most def. pick up a 325 for 5-6k.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)