BMW Werkz banner

Connecting Ipod to Factory Cassete/Disc Changer

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  drz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello

As the title says, I need help connecting my new video Ipod to my factory cassete/disc changer (1992 325is). I know what your thinking - use the good ol Cassete method. I don't necessarily want to. I would like to find something that converts my disc changer connection to my ipod.

Like seen the one here

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mrjfBl3EMjA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=500KCM123B

But that one only has 5 pins. I looked in the trunk and the disc changer uses a 14 pin connection (maybe 15). I have not been able to find a connection that does this. If anyone has the same year car as mine and has figured out a way to do this, or knows how. If you could send me a link of the adapter you used or one you know of. It would be greatly appreciated.

I do not want to spend 100-200 dollars on a cd player. Just spend $285 on the ipod and would like a cheap way (but still nice quality) to listen to my ipod.

- Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
I regret to tell you that I have notheard of a connector for your year BMW. They make one for the later models (which still costs about $140 anyway). Sound quality using the casette is still good. I use that for my Sirius. You can also get one of the FM modulators, but the sound quality is better using the casette adapter. SOrry man. You are looking at either a new headunit, using one of the two methods I mentioned, or designing your own.

#3 ·
So there is no way to use an adapter that converts the ipod to the disc changer line that runs into my factory head unit?

Thankyou for the reply

That being said...

I will probolly use the cassette method until I get up enough money in buying a new head unit.

And the question now is which brand/model should I go with? Know any good ones under $200 that connects to the ipod easily and has any other rather slick features? If anyone knows of any give me a list!

Thankyou

#5 ·
I havea 325is as well. I use the Griffen iTrip to connect my ipod into the radio. I know what your looking for, I would like the same setup. I haven't seen anything though I haven't looked VERY hard yet. All we need is a cord that converts the cd changer port into an AUX IN port. DO NOT metion iPOD when doing this. People get confuesed. All we need is a AUX input to plug in the ipod or portable cd player or even a dvd unit for audio.

So...the search continues!

By the way, my iTrip isn't that bad, although I do like the tape better!

#6 ·
^^ YEah -- you can very likely find something like that. I though you were looking for something that would allow you to control your iPod using your factory headunit. Anything that converts your CD changer port into an auxiliary input (either RCA or mini phono) will do the job if all you want to do is to get the audio to play though your speakers. YOu will have to speak to someone tp make sure you are getting a connector that will succesfully work on your specific unit. Crutchfield is a good place to start. You will very likely need to sepak to comebody on the phone and explain the situation to them. I apologize for not mentioning this before.

#7 ·
drz said:
^^ YEah -- you can very likely find something like that. I though you were looking for something that would allow you to control your iPod using your factory headunit. Anything that converts your CD changer port into an auxiliary input (either RCA or mini phono) will do the job if all you want to do is to get the audio to play though your speakers. YOu will have to speak to someone tp make sure you are getting a connector that will succesfully work on your specific unit. Crutchfield is a good place to start. You will very likely need to sepak to comebody on the phone and explain the situation to them. I apologize for not mentioning this before.
Hey thats what we are all here for! :p

#8 ·
Called up Crutchfield... was not too good

pretty much got the whole, "There are no adpaters like that for your car. There is no hope for you, you must buy a new headunit. Have a nice day!"

So yeah, I figured it would come to this. It's a shame. Out of all the BMW owners with a factory head unit/disc changer AND have an iPod. None of them have found a solution for direct-connection? These are my crying hopes to keep this thread alive. Definately not wanting to spend another 100+ just for good sound quality.

Thanks for reading!

#9 ·
Put it into perspective:

What profit can there be in producing an adapter that will only work on a few vehicles that were built almost fifteen years ago? It makes perfect sense to me that there is none you can use. Use the casette adapter. You are already driving an old-ass car; stop trying to look luxury.

#10 ·
Hey Cool DRZ guy!

I actually found one for my car. So....

It makes perfect sense to me that you are an idiot.

No need to bash just because you have nothing better to do. Get back to doing other productive things like jamming out to your hot new Puddle of Mudd CD.

My car is luxury bitch.

CYA LATER DRZ!!!!!!!!

#11 · (Edited)
Puddle of Mudd?

Anyways, I explained why if you couldn't find an adapter, it would make perfect sense. I know I used rather harsh words toward the end, but I don't consider it was anything that would warrant any insults. In a weird sense I am glad that you did find an adapter (that was -- after all -- what I was hoping for when I spent a few minutes online looking for one).

You found one on your own. I was proven wrong. I don't mind that -- I learn from my mistakes.

- Daniel

#12 ·
Bavarian Autosport *supposedly* has adapters that connect to the factory cd changer input, it does eliminate the cd changer. It allows some basic control from the headunit. Just an FYI. Oh, and IIRC its like $120.

#13 ·
^^ The one that bavauto carries only works on later model headunits. I changed my bavauto settings to match his car in order to see only the parts and accesories that are available for his car, and the adapter did not appear. I believe there was a change in headunits in 1995 or 1996. I am not sure. Still, hanks for the input.

Furthermore, I believe he already resolved this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.