Confused by rim sizes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lsmith42 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Confused by rim sizes

Couldn't think of a better title...

My girlfriend's 1998 1/2 (?) Z3 (2.5, I think) needs new tires. It has BMW 15" rims and 205/60R15 tires. The issue is that every web site I go to (and a few local shops) insist that the car came with minimum 16" rims, and some shops will not even sell her tires because they are not the original size.

She is not the original owner, so the rims may have been swapped before she got the car.

Are these the wrong rims for her car? Any ancient wisdom would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Any pictures? I thought they did come with 15" wheels standard.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Any pictures? I thought they did come with 15" wheels standard.
Thanks for the response. Will post a picture when she returns from LA next week. I'll also get the VIN so I can figure out what this car really is...
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Even my base model 1.9L z3 came with 16's stock, so double check they were originally for her vehicle.. you CAN fit 15's but they would be from a different bmw (that size is stock for a e34 525i, for example).

Otherwise, the size you'd need would be 225/55/15. That would be the most accurate replacement for a z3 if you actually ran a 15" wheel.

Check the offset on the wheel.. remove the wheel and there should be the word "ET" and a number after it... if its low.. (0-25) its an old 5/7 series wheel.. if its higher (35-45) its a 3 series or z specific wheel from maybe a 318 perhaps.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster
Even my base model 1.9L z3 came with 16's stock, so double check they were originally for her vehicle.. you CAN fit 15's but they would be from a different bmw (that size is stock for a e34 525i, for example).

Otherwise, the size you'd need would be 225/55/15. That would be the most accurate replacement for a z3 if you actually ran a 15" wheel.

Check the offset on the wheel.. remove the wheel and there should be the word "ET" and a number after it... if its low.. (0-25) its an old 5/7 series wheel.. if its higher (35-45) its a 3 series or z specific wheel from maybe a 318 perhaps.
Thanks, this is useful!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Member

RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
um... shops shouldnt ever bitch about smaller wheels... only larger... just order whatever is on the tire from tire rack and just bring it to a shop...

#7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I agree with Kingo. If she has 205/60/15 tires on the wheels, then she should be able to buy that same size as replacements.

Maybe those are not the wheels that came on it stock, but that does not make it unsafe (if they fit right).

#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
It can make it unsafe.. larger or smaller if not oem we are always warned against using as they are a liability.. esp with alot of the new DOT laws that came out that dealers have to enforce as of earlier this year..

to some its just not worth dealing with aftermarket.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Hence the "if they fit right" parenthetical.

#10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
OK... got my grubbies on the car and did a little investigation. The door jam sticker says specifies no less than eight "proper" tire sizes for the car. The size that's on there is one of the three "M+S" sizes, and the only one to use a 15" rim. I can post pics tonight if anyone's interested.

It's also odd that none of the online databases get that this car could have a 2.8l. They all list either 2.5 or 3.0l.

Did BMW make a few Frankensteins just for fun? I think the black with red leather interior is somewhat rare as well.

Bottom line... she's getting some new BFG GForce Sports and an alignment today... new bushings all around when I have the time!
#11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Here are the pics (pre-new tires)... notice the array of sizes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	24679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	24680  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)