Confidence question... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:29 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
Confidence question...

As you guys may have already known, I've gotten myself into an unreasonably strange accident.
Circumstances aside, I wanted to know, from personal experience or hearsay, how likely is it that my suspension will be permanently screwed up?
This is my first ///m car, and I'm afraid that my accident may change the driving dynamic, yah.
To put it simply, it was about a 15-17mph collision with a standstill vehicle directly to one of my wheels, and it threw off my alignment badly. I wasn't able to check underneath the car for suspension damage, but opening the hood revealed that the strut towers were fine.
Am I once again being paranoid, or will my "perfect road-connection" car never be the same?

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
To be on the safe side, I would take it to a suspension shop and have them check it thoroghly to be sure everything is okay. And maybe check the wheel for big dings and out-of-round.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
Well, my car's already been in the shop for a few days, awaiting the insurance paperwork.
I got a little news today; looks like my worst fears are well-founded. For sure the control arms are "like a pretzel" and thus I assume so is everything connected to such. The only body damage is the fender and the wheel - both will be replaced instead of repaired.
I don't know about struts.
I'm getting the estimate via fax tomorrow, will update when I get the chance.

I am now depressed.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
If the control arm is "like a pretzel", the strut is probably not in good shape. Let us know what happens.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
well if it makes you feel any better, i get hit on the side too, except not in the wheel and it was like 2 mph so yeah i guess this doesn't make you feel any better, sorry, i still love you

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
BMWs have great suspensions that can withstand alot...my car was hit by a MTA Bus(goig about 10-20 mph) and the impact was over the front right wheel, fender and door. My suspension was fine (see first pic)

Then my car was hit again on the left side by a Range Rover (going about 30 mph) and the impact was over the left front wheel and fender. Guess what, my suspension was fine again. (see 2nd pic)
Anyway I was at the collision shop and the mech showed me a 2004 AUDI all road wagon that got hit similar to me by an SUV and the suspension was fcuked up even though you could see on the surface that he got the same damage as me to his fender and door and wheel..but the mech said BMWs are really tough cars...

so unless the components are visibly twisted up like a pretzel, I would have confidence...until I hear otherwise from a certified inspector.

THE BUS:

THE SUV:

#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Well, you were hit over the wheels, Del. I hit the actual wheel dead on. I will be visually inspecting the under side of the car on Saturday to confirm. I can't see the pics while at work though....

I'll keep y'all posted.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:58 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Huh. Apparently I should not examine my car when it's 12 degrees out, because I miss details.
The list:
Left front bumper impact strip (OTR, whatever that means) - replace
Grille frame - refinish one, repair another
Left front park/signal/repeater lamp.
Hood - refinish outside.
Cover Car (What's that? Car cover?) - refinish
NIB (I don't know what that is) - sand and buff
Hood panel - repair/refinish
Left fender panel - repair/refinish (I guess they didn't let my mechanic just get a new one)
Wheel - replace (yay!)
Valve stem - replace (THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING! j/k)
Front suspension - align
Left front suspension control arm assembly - replace (this frightens me - will it ever be the same?)

This list didn't include the necessary stuff that they'd have to remove/install to get to some of the parts. Also...

Clear coat
Restore corrosion protection

My mechanic takes care of me.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrwyntr
Huh. Apparently I should not examine my car when it's 12 degrees out, because I miss details.
The list:
Left front bumper impact strip (OTR, whatever that means) - replace
Grille frame - refinish one, repair another
Left front park/signal/repeater lamp.
Hood - refinish outside.
Cover Car (What's that? Car cover?) - refinish
NIB (I don't know what that is) - sand and buff
Hood panel - repair/refinish
Left fender panel - repair/refinish (I guess they didn't let my mechanic just get a new one)
Wheel - replace (yay!)
Valve stem - replace (THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING! j/k)
Front suspension - align
Left front suspension control arm assembly - replace (this frightens me - will it ever be the same?)

This list didn't include the necessary stuff that they'd have to remove/install to get to some of the parts. Also...

Clear coat
Restore corrosion protection

My mechanic takes care of me.

yeah...if that is the mechanics list and the front suspesnion needs to be aligned AFTER the control arm assembly is replaced (see it's not just the arm but the whole assembly that makes the difference) I'm willing to say the car is not gonna be the same...but it's not gonna be bad either.

drive it when the work is done and you'll know right away of if the car is different or sub par.
good luck buddy and
where are the pictures of all this?
Del.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:09 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
I had pictures on my phone, then deleted them in disgust.
Sigh. Yeah, my mechanic said if the alignment is messed up after the assembly, he'll replace everything under the sun - but like you said... I'll know the difference.

... I feel like I've just wasted 17k.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)