BMW Werkz banner

common things to look for in an e36?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i'm new here, and I am in the market for an used e36. I have been modifying cars since my umm first 1984 toyota corolla :screwy . But of course my bmw will NOT be stock. I just wanted to know what to look for when purchasing one?

Things i know so far as general things to look for in cars...
-Check for oil leaks near head gasket or oil pan
-Check for axle, ball joint and bearing/bushing wear and tear
-Check inner cylinder wall color
-Transmission check by driving
-Check belts
-Look for smoking blue or white from exhaust
-Check cylinders using the "pull the spark plug wires with engine running" technique.

And from searching the boards i have noticed that i should ask for a changing of the stock water pump. Anything else i should look for since you guys all have the car and know what's good on the car and what's not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 more question though, anybody running the H&R Cup System suspension on their bmws? does it handle good? and how's the ride quality?

Too many questions... now here's some pix of my previous car, an integra before it got rear ended (hence why i'm getting another car)

Car right after it's paint job

Car at the tracks

Car's current status w/ damage

and that's about it... looking forward to being part of the bmw family, and i hope it lasts me!

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks furious! that's greatly appreciated... those parts look pretty hefty in their price ranges, especially the interior instruments failing. Are all those that you've listed VERY VERY common?

hmm, now i'm double thinking...are the e36 reliable cars overall though?

#6 ·
Originally posted by bimmer328isss@Aug 28 2003, 06:43 AM
theres people on here that have had their cars 4 ever. theyre bullitproof man
the disadvantage is that when they do break they are more expensive....but you will be fixing them less.

#9 ·
these are most common things, but like i said before they dont all happen at once (maybe the cooling system pieces) but chances of you encountering most of those is rare. the E36 is very strong, the motor is nearly impossible to kill. the tranny is also very very tough. i really recommend getting one, trust me, Knowing already what the potential problems could be , i still bought one.
btw- most of those problems are a reasonalble fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.