comfort relay on 325is - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
phattruk01 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
comfort relay on 325is

i have a 95 325is. I have seen posts stating the comfort relay is behind the glove box and it's under the sterring column. Can someone point me in the right direction or photos, if possible, to where it's located. My p/w ,sunroof and central locking all do not work. i have checked all fuses and the trunk wiring . thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
According to the Bentley Service Manual the EWS ll control module is located behind the left side of the glove compartment & is the control module for the Central Body Electronics..... Here is a pic of the control module.
If you have a 3 series Bentley there is another diagram of the location on page 515-10 fig. 22

johnny,

RealOEM.COM * BMW E36 325i EWS CONTROL UNIT/TR MODULE/SUPPORT

#3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
n00b

phattruk01 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks johnny. I don't have a manual and that link is obsolete. I do have the dash removed and sae a green, yellow and blue connects. I also have an 11 pin connector that is not connected to anything. Could it be that the module is missing. i can post a pic when I get home this evening for reference.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattruk01 View Post
thanks johnny. I don't have a manual and that link is obsolete. I do have the dash removed and sae a green, yellow and blue connects. I also have an 11 pin connector that is not connected to anything. Could it be that the module is missing. i can post a pic when I get home this evening for reference.
I found this link, it should definitley help........
johnny,

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0EWS%20BMW.pdf

#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:31 AM
n00b

vabeacher is on a distinguished road
No matter what Bentley says, my comfort relay is under the driver's side dash, next to the steering column. Maybe it's different on cars with right side steering. Once you know where it is, it's pretty easy to get to. Remove the trim panel under the steering wheel (3 screws). Underneath the trim panel, you'll find a metal panel (knee guard?) which has to be removed (3 recessed 10mm bolts). You'll need a socket wrench with an extension to get at these. On the door side of the steering column, there is a plastic holder which holds several relays, this can be unfastened and folded down. The comfort relay is light blue or gray, mine was blue.

Having said all this, this turned out not to be my problem. I had the same issue: windows & sunroof stopped at the same time. I never realized that my power door locks were also not working. I checked all the fuses which I thought had something to do with it, nothing. So, I replaced the comfort relay...still nothing. Once I realized the power locks were not working either, I checked the fuses for that. Turned out that fuse #7 (5 amp) had blown. Once I replaced this, everything was working again. Of course, I needlessly replaced a good comfort relay, but it was only a $25 part.

Who would think that a 5 amp fuse for the central locking system, could cause so many things to stop working. Only some devious German engineer could have dreamed up that wiring scheme.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
vabeacher is correct about the location of the comfort relay, it is mounted under the steering column.....about the fuses for the central body electronics, there are six.....
fuses (#7, 5A), (#14 30A), (#31 5A), (#33 10A), (#35, 25A), (#43 5A), note: when checking these fuses they should be checked with a 12v test light , because sometimes just doing a visual is not good enough, sometimes the fuse can be open @ the very end of the fuse housing & not be seen.....next the central locking system has a control module too, mounted behind the glove compartment.
johnny,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)