Collant Leakage problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RedBeemer95 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi All,
I am a newbie to this Beemer world. Bought a 95 325i a month back and need some help with the coolant leakage.

I am happy to say that I was able to remove my Tint for all the windows(to pass my MD insepction) successfully on a bright sunny day. I feel very happy when I work on my car.

I first noticed that the coolant level is getting down very often (but I didn't notice any coolant on the floor where I parked). so, I took it to the BMW certified (Excruservice) mechanic, they said that there is a problem with the themostat and the thermostat hoose(spelling may be wrong). SO, got replaced both of them and said that It was fixed for $200. But later after a week I was surprised to see my light glows to "Check the coolant level".

when I talked to the mechanic this morning, he is telling that there could be some other reason which causes this leak (It might be water pump, or some thing else), which he didn't notice during the fix. And he wants me to bring the car again. I am not really comfortable taking the car because, Since he is not able to fix it before? I can't trust him in fixing this time. I heard that teh water pump replacement might cause some 5-600 bugs. Actually, the water pump was replaced an year ago by the prevous owner. So, Can you guys suggest me what do I need to do? take the car to the same guy or do some testing of where it is leaking on my own? or suggest another guy near to Rockville, MD.

One more help regarding my car sun roof. a few days ago all of sudden the cover of the sunroof got struck inside when I opened the roof. The sun roof is operating but the cover struck on the back which doesn't look good, when I close the roof. The mechanic said that it might cause some $600 to get that fixed. Is there a way that I can bring that roof cover to the front.

Thanks for all your replies.
Srini.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
if thi was your first time using this mechanic and he didnt work dont take it back but if youve used him before and know he can do good work then do it! otherwise its not that hard to find another one, ask around with people to see who they use and get some feedback on them!

David
#3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
oh 2 more things if it was just reaplced last year it shouldnt.... be that, and also
#4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your warm welcome and reply. Ya, the entire cooling system was replaced in Jun'03 are there any guesses of what the problem is?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
By the way, I just noticed the wheels on the pic below your message. How much do they cost? becoz I bought the same along with my car. So, just out of curiosity, let me know the price?

--Srini
#6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Neutral Member

steve 92 325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to steve 92 325is
did he bleed alll the air out I had that prob after replacing mt t-stat a monyh ago
#7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 01:49 PM
n00b

floydzeppelinfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1995 325is and had a similar problem. My car said check coolant, so I did all the obvious replacements, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. After all this it still had the check coolant and since white smoke was coming out, I assumed it to be the head gasket. That actually wasn't the case, rather it was a crack in cylinder 2!!! Yikes. luckily the warranty covered it. Hope this isn't the case because that is a hell of a lot of money...
#8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 02:08 PM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
to the forums

i too am from maryland, and i know a very good mechanic, but it is probably a bit out of your way (annapolis, md)

anyway, the wheels you see are either the M3 wheels, or the M3 replicas. im pretty sure bigred has the m3s. i think i have the replicas, because they are 16", and the m3s contour rims are 17"s only. the replicas are made by AT Italia and cost like 300 a piece i hear. while the real m3 17" rims are atleast 500 a piece

sorry i dunno about your coolant problem

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Regarding the coolant leakage, I took to the mechanic and he says that there is a leak in the water pump and a replacement would solve the problem. and his quote for water pump replacement is around $500. So, can I do the water pump replacement on my Own with a buddy as a helper. If so, can you suggest the tools that I need to have (FYI - since I bought the car recently I don't have a single tool) and the instructions for replacing the water pump.

Yesterday when It was really hot and when my car ran for 1 hr, I figured out, two leakages from the car

1. The coolant is leaking only when the engine gets heated up and ran after 30-40 mins. I see a coolant drops, drop by drop once for every 30-40 secs. And when "Check the coolant level" comes up for once a week I am filling the coolant. I really want to get this done as quick as possible (If it can be done on my own). If it is really a serious problem that I should not wait any more, I better take to the same guy and get the water pump replaced. So, I will be waiting for your suggestions.

2. I see some water dripping of drop by drop exactly at the middle of the chassis, What could be the possibility. I smell nothing and not a greezy its just like water?

So, could you guys post your ideas of what you think? about these two and give some suggestions.

I am really impressed with your previous responses and planning to some mods for my 95325i after solving these serious leakages.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ghettozn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ghettozn
#11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I went through the link and its very informative about all the maintanance of E36 etc. Hopefully I am planning to work on this in this weekend so, I will wait for the other member suggestions?
#12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bigred318@Jul 23 2004, 12:56 PM
oh 2 more things if it was just reaplced last year it shouldnt.... be that, and also
Yes, It was replaced an year ago by the previous owner. And now after running a pressure test by the certified mchanic, it says there is a leak in the water pump. So, he suggested me to replace the water pump.
#13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by TMac325is@Jul 24 2004, 02:48 PM
to the forums

i too am from maryland, and i know a very good mechanic, but it is probably a bit out of your way (annapolis, md)

anyway, the wheels you see are either the M3 wheels, or the M3 replicas. im pretty sure bigred has the m3s. i think i have the replicas, because they are 16", and the m3s contour rims are 17"s only. the replicas are made by AT Italia and cost like 300 a piece i hear. while the real m3 17" rims are atleast 500 a piece

sorry i dunno about your coolant problem
Can you give me his phone number its like a one hour drive from here. So, I can check with him.

And regarding the wheels, ya, i think the wheels I have are the 17''. I would really love to have those extra 17'' wheels on my car with the new summer tires on it. But I really wanted this coolant problem solved first.

Thanks for your info.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBeemer95@Aug 2 2004, 05:43 PM
Regarding the coolant leakage, I took to the mechanic and he says that there is a leak in the water pump and a replacement would solve the problem. and his quote for water pump replacement is around $500. So, can I do the water pump replacement on my Own with a buddy as a helper. If so, can you suggest the tools that I need to have (FYI - since I bought the car recently I don't have a single tool) and the instructions for replacing the water pump.

Yesterday when It was really hot and when my car ran for 1 hr, I figured out, two leakages from the car

1. The coolant is leaking only when the engine gets heated up and ran after 30-40 mins. I see a coolant drops, drop by drop once for every 30-40 secs. And when "Check the coolant level" comes up for once a week I am filling the coolant. I really want to get this done as quick as possible (If it can be done on my own). If it is really a serious problem that I should not wait any more, I better take to the same guy and get the water pump replaced. So, I will be waiting for your suggestions.

2. I see some water dripping of drop by drop exactly at the middle of the chassis, What could be the possibility. I smell nothing and not a greezy its just like water?

So, could you guys post your ideas of what you think? about these two and give some suggestions.

I am really impressed with your previous responses and planning to some mods for my 95325i after solving these serious leakages.
I would like to hear the comments on this coolant leakage? is that realy a water pump leakage or anything else. I just wante dto make sure before I order the parts.

Awaiting for your comments. And very much thankful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)