Cold Start Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMWHeer is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead Can some clever soul help me. BMW cannot solve this so this is major respect if you get this right. It tries to cut out until it gets warm, I have changed the Idle control valve and the Air flow meter. The car has a K&N induction kit if that helps the diagnosis. Please help me the wife is going nuts when she drives.
BMWHeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hmmm , maybe you are getting excess condensation on the MAF sensor wire and when its cold its causing problems with it. I honestlly dont know, try puttting the stock airbox on and see if that doenst help. secondly check a pontetial problem with the fuel line, maybe your fuel filter is past due for changing.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I know this sounds almost sarcastic, but when's the last time you changed the sparkplugs? If there is enough carbon build up on the diode, it would take a while for them to heat up, and keep the car idling smoothly.

The ICV wouldn't have been the problem unless you were having idle problems all the time, not just when the engine is cold.

Beyond that, it may be a vacuum leak. Once your car is warm, rev the engine up (4 or 5K) and then let offf. Does the engine almost die? IF so, would look into the vacuum lines
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
I put my money on O2 sensor. Was just reading that a bad O2 sensor can cause irregular idle on warm up and even irregular idle once warmed up. Assuming you have OBDI its a relatively cheap fix and easy to install yourself.

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
pcy
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 09:11 AM
I put my money on O2 sensor. Was just reading that a bad O2 sensor can cause irregular idle on warm up and even irregular idle once warmed up. Assuming you have OBDI its a relatively cheap fix and easy to install yourself.
[snapback]271319[/snapback]
Please correct me if I am wrong...
I thought that until the engine goes to closed loop mode (i.e., until the engine is warmed up), the O2 sensor information is ignoed by the computer.
So, the original poster's car problem is that irregular idle during warm-up shouldn't have anything to do with O2 sensor.

My guess (just a guess) would be intake manifold gasket is leaking.
So, what could be happening is that when the engine is cold, the gasket
is fully shrunk and lets the air in (this extra air is NOT measured by the MAF sensor) since this air is not measured by MAF, computer doesn't know anything about this extra air and is not proportionately mixing the fuel. Hence, the irratic idle.

Now, once the engine warms up, the gasket expands and fills-up the leakage; thus, idle improves.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 14 2005, 02:10 AM
hmmm , maybe you are getting excess condensation on the MAF sensor wire and when its cold its causing problems with it. I honestlly dont know, try puttting the stock airbox on and see if that doenst help. secondly check a pontetial problem with the fuel line, maybe your fuel filter is past due for changing.
[snapback]271044[/snapback]
Thanks for the help, I have tried another standard air box with MAF but it does not resolve the problem. The fuel filter was changed last year. Please keep the mails coming any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jan 14 2005, 02:31 AM
I know this sounds almost sarcastic, but when's the last time you changed the sparkplugs? If there is enough carbon build up on the diode, it would take a while for them to heat up, and keep the car idling smoothly.

The ICV wouldn't have been the problem unless you were having idle problems all the time, not just when the engine is cold.

Beyond that, it may be a vacuum leak. Once your car is warm, rev the engine up (4 or 5K) and then let offf. Does the engine almost die? IF so, would look into the vacuum lines
[snapback]271052[/snapback]
Thanks mate, I have changed the sparks last year, if I rev the car when it's cold it will die, it's ok when it's warm. Please keep the mails coming any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 03:11 PM
Sorry mate, The Lambda probe is 3 years old and the exhaust emissions are bang on. Please keep the mails coming any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by pcy+Jan 14 2005, 10:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcy @ Jan 14 2005, 10:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 09:11 AM
I thought that until the engine goes to closed loop mode (i.e., until the engine is warmed up), the O2 sensor information is ignoed by the computer.
So, the original poster's car problem is that irregular idle during warm-up shouldn't have anything to do with O2 sensor.

My guess (just a guess) would be intake manifold gasket is leaking.
So, what could be happening is that when the engine is cold, the gasket
is fully shrunk and lets the air in (this extra air is NOT measured by the MAF sensor) since this air is not measured by MAF, computer doesn't know anything about this extra air and is not proportionately mixing the fuel. Hence, the irratic idle.

Now, once the engine warms up, the gasket expands and fills-up the leakage; thus, idle improves.
[snapback]271696[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for this information, this seems to be very logical, I will conduct a test to see whether this resolves the situation. I shall be in touch and let you know how I get on. Does anyone know if the size of the cables on the lambda probe could cause this problem as I have been told that mine were longer than required.
Please keep the mails coming any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
i dunno.. but i think it could be a fuel pump or the o2 sensor!

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2003 M5
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
am curious about this thread as I seem to have a smaller version of this problem, reason is relating to the first thing that Furious said

"maybe you are getting excess condensation on the MAF sensor wire and when its cold its causing problems with it"

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by pcy+Jan 14 2005, 04:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcy @ Jan 14 2005, 04:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 09:11 AM
[snapback]271696[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

This is straight off of pelican parts:
There are a few signs that your oxygen sensor may be failing. In general, it is difficult to diagnose problems with the sensor, unless all of the other components in the fuel injection system have been checked and determined to be operating correctly. Some of the symptoms of a failed oxygen sensor system are:

Irregular idle during warm-up
Irregular idle with warm engine
Engine will not accelerate and backfires
Poor engine performance
Fuel consumption is high
Driving performance is weak
CO concentration at idle is too high or too low
Check Engine light is illuminated

BUt pertaining to his problem if they are newer and emissions are in check it obvioulsy isn't the problem..

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)