code troubleshooting please help a newb - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:33 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sheep is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
code troubleshooting please help a newb

hey guys, Im sure there hundreds of threads like this but I have some specific questions.

Well first of all I just bought a 1997 328i 4dr ATX and I am having some problems with how the car is running. When I bought it, it had a rough idle at cold but when I put a little gas to it, then it will idle fine.

I took it up to a specialty garage and got it looked at and they gave me a list of things that need to be fixed. I asked him about the start up thing and he said it was because those motors dumped fuel 3 cylinders at a time and was almost on the verge of flooding every time at startup. said it was normal.

changed the plugs, changed the valve cover gasket, bolt gaskets, coil plugs(not the actual coil but the plug the connects them together.)

Well when I got it put back together and still had problems so I took it up to Autozone to get the OBD test run on it. it came up with the

P1188 and P1189 codes which are for fuel control bank 1 and bank 2 sensor 1

do any of you guys know what needs to be done to fix this kind of problem, are the two problems even related? I dont know too much about cars but I would like to fix as much as I can on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
hey guys, Im sure there hundreds of threads like this but I have some specific questions.

Well first of all I just bought a 1997 328i 4dr ATX and I am having some problems with how the car is running. When I bought it, it had a rough idle at cold but when I put a little gas to it, then it will idle fine.

I took it up to a specialty garage and got it looked at and they gave me a list of things that need to be fixed. I asked him about the start up thing and he said it was because those motors dumped fuel 3 cylinders at a time and was almost on the verge of flooding every time at startup. said it was normal.

changed the plugs, changed the valve cover gasket, bolt gaskets, coil plugs(not the actual coil but the plug the connects them together.)

Well when I got it put back together and still had problems so I took it up to Autozone to get the OBD test run on it. it came up with the

do any of you guys know what needs to be done to fix this kind of problem, are the two problems even related? I dont know too much about cars but I would like to fix as much as I can on my own.
What's the mileage on your 328i, if its over 100,000 sounds like your oxygen sensors are bad.....because these codes represent bad o2 sensors....
Quote:
click on link & scroll down to codes P1188 & P1189....
OBD-II Codes

Quote:
Bank 1 - pipe comming from headers 1-3
Bank 2 - pipe comming from headers 3-6

Sensor 1 - precat
Sensor 2- postcat
Good luck,
johnny

p.s. you can pick up the sensors and the much needed tool here @........
BMW Oxygen Sensors | Bavarian Autosport BMW Parts and Accessories

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-25-2008 at 01:53 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

the bank1 & bank2 suggests that your fuel problem is common to all cylinders.

I suggest starting from basics:
1) inspect fuel filter for clogging or dirt(if you've never changed it, now is a good time.
2) check the fuel pressure. Your pump must be able to attain a 50.7psi reading or 2.25 liters per min. output. Anything less than that means your pump isn't providing enough push to properly work your injectors.
3) fuel pressure regulator. check to see that the vacuum connector is secure.

Let us know what you find.

Something about codes is that even if they display as P1188/P1189... consider yourself lucky if the problem corrects with R&R of parts that are obviously mafunctioning. In some cases, you'll have to troubleshoot further upstream to find the root of your probs.

Good Luck
#4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hey thanks guys. I read about some other guys and their O2 sensors. One guys actually found out it was a hole in one of the hoses connecting to the sensor which fixed the problem. I will check everything out this weekend or if I can sooner. Thanks alot for your help guys and hopefully I will post some pics up soon of better paint and a good running car!

P.S. my car has 210,000 miles on it.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
hey thanks guys. I read about some other guys and their O2 sensors. One guys actually found out it was a hole in one of the hoses connecting to the sensor which fixed the problem. I will check everything out this weekend or if I can sooner. Thanks alot for your help guys and hopefully I will post some pics up soon of better paint and a good running car!

P.S. my car has 210,000 miles on it.
then take johnny's advise too... 02 sensors need to be replaced if you wish to maintain your fuel efficiency
#6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
do you suggest I replace all four or just the 2 before and after the MAF? I think thats where it is, I know there a two up front and then one before and one after the cat.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
do you suggest I replace all four or just the 2 before and after the MAF? I think thats where it is, I know there a two up front and then one before and one after the cat.
Hey! sheep!
I know that they usually go bad all about the same time, On my wife's Honda Odyssey, bank 2 sensor went bad, the check engine light came on, I checked the code which told me that the sensor in bank 2 was bad, replaced it, 2 months later the check engine light came on again & this time my scanner told me the bank 1 sensor was bad........
p.s. Honda Odyssey only has 2 o2 sensors, our 328i's have 4........
My car is a 97' 328i with 95,500 miles, so when I get my 1st check engine failure for any of the o2 sensors I will replace them all.......
johnny,

#8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I actually know when I took it up to the shop and they checked it he told me that there was something wrong with a sensor but that it just affected emmissions, Im sure thats a stupid comment from what I have heard from you guys. I will check everything out that I can and if I have anymore problems I will deff. ask.

On a side note, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your car? Other than the fuel problem and a steering rack leak, mine is in good working order(I know that sounds funny "except all of the problems its great!") I paid 3000 flat for it. It is my second car.

I am still an import man at heart, I have had 2 different mazdas and now the bmw. I really underestimated the Euro cars, but I alwas loved Bimmers so I got the chance to get one and did.

You guys have other cars? I come from a car family, we have had several mustangs, and other fords, now we own a 95 impala ss(still one of the coolest cars ever made in my opinion), a mazda 3i(my little up and coming show queen), a few trucks and now my BMW.

I know this is getting long but please dont think I am one of those spending all of daddy's money kind of guys, I am 18 and bought both my cars and pay for everything on them, which is why I work 45-50 hours a week while going to college full time.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Wink

Quote:
On a side note, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your car? Other than the fuel problem and a steering rack leak, mine is in good working order(I know that sounds funny "except all of the problems its great!") I paid 3000 flat for it. It is my second car.
Quote:
I know this is getting long but please dont think I am one of those spending all of daddy's money kind of guys, I am 18 and bought both my cars and pay for everything on them, which is why I work 45-50 hours a week while going to college full time.
Hey! Sheep! As far as being a daddy's boy, the thought never came to mind!!!! Also if you ever have any problems or questions with your Bimmer, pm me or contact me anytime! I am very impressed with the fact that you are only 18, & you are not afraid to get your hands dirty, go to school full time & work all those hours........ Very impressed!!!! The Best way to have it your way, is to do it your way............I try do every repair, my car, my house, & anything that needs fixing.......

As far as what I paid, considering where I live, in New York Metropolitan area, & the mileage my car had when I purchased it @ 84,909 miles.
I think I could have got it a little cheaper, but I paid $9,500 flat......
so you got your car @ a very good price,
johnny,

#10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man, hey anytime if you head down this way man, let me know we will hang out. I have only been up to NY once and that was last November. I am pretty familiar with the city though. I got a buddy from another forum that lives in the Bronx, what part are you from?

Last edited by sheep; 06-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks man, hey anytime if you head down this way man, let me know we will hang out. I have only been up to NY once and that was last November. I am pretty familiar with the city though. I got a buddy from another forum that lives in the Bronx, what part are you from?
Hey sheep,
I am actually from New Jersey, Bayonne that is, 15 min. from NYC..... & I bought my car from upstate New York....... but sounds good where are you from.....
johnny,

#12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Im a Myrtle Beach, South Carolina local. I stayed in NJ like 2 mins away from the airport. I spent a few days in the city but just walked and took the subway because driving in the city is ridiculous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)