clutch went bye bye - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 PM
The Messican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
(Thread Starter)
clutch went bye bye

ok, so im driving home from skool, traffic starts building up i start downshifting, but it feels hard, very hard, i pull over onto the shoulder and stop completely, i cant get my car into 1st or any gear, i turn off the car and kind of get it into first and manage to drive to my mechanics place, 1st and 2nd are hard to get into and car shakes horribly, got to the mechanic, horrible burnt clutch smell...i need a new clutch now, 270 for the clutch and 300 for labor! i want to cry!!!

im gonna look around see if i can get a better price for the clutch kit, if not i have until 3 so he can overnight the part

any suggestions?

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
That sucks dude! Don't ya hate that smell? But honestly that price doesn't sound all that bad

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
yea, i guess the price isnt that bad, but still, 600 fu**ing dollars! i was trying to save up money, but there goes my monies...i wanna cry

and yea, smells horrible

it was weird thou, do clutches just give out like that all of a sudden? i dont think or remember having problems before..??? will my car feel different with the new clutch? and is there anything i should have my mechanic do whilst under there???

edit: actually i wanted to have him put a short shifter in there now that he had the tranny down, but i cant get one fast enough and i need my car to get to school and work ftl...

Last edited by MiguelACA; 10-11-2006 at 01:19 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
5th Gear Member

well concidering I've seen clutch jobs go from 600-1000 I think you got a good deal...Old clutches can just fail you may not even notice that the gradual changes...chances are after the new clutch is installed you will notice a difference, based on what clutch you get it could feel heavier...if you trust this tech, and he's got a good reputation he'll know what to check while he's down there.

Come see me at MySpace
#5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The clutch bite point will feel different on a fresh clutch...and yes, it can give out all of a sudden :-)

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
well the clutch is oem, gettinf it from the dealer, and the guy is pretty good at what he does, he used to work and a bmw dealership, so he knows his bimmers

do i have to like break in the new clutch?

M3UOND, by bite point im guessings it where it engages? feel different? how so?

#7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
5th Gear Member

The "bite" will be more firm all that fresh clutch pad to grab! I wouldn't suggest racing on your first day with the new clutch but other than that you'll be good to go. Oh and I'm glad to see that you got OEM parts, good call.

Come see me at MySpace
#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
o ok, kool, yea, i didnt even bother to look elsewhere for a clutch, 270 sounded reasonable so yea, i miss my car

#9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
yay! clutch cylinder broke too!! i got to spend another 80 dollars!!! and my car still doesnt work, makes a weird noise when u put it in gear, a grinding noise, but not hard hurt grinding like when u try to put it in gear without pushing in the clutch...the car stays in the shop another day...

#10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
A bent selector fork?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
no idea, mechanic said since verything was new except some bearing? maybe thats it? i dunno, ill find out later around noon

#12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The "throwout bearing?"

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
well he showed me a bearing that he had and said that if it was the bearing and it fit he would use it, but i think he was talking about the clutch center bearing, is that the same thing as a throwout bearing?

#14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
ok, so i went to check on my car, they fixed that grinding problem, but another problem arose, now there a rubbing-grinding noise when u let go of the clutch, the guy said the car drives and shifts fine, except for that grinding noise when u let go of the clutch...

#15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
ok, car worky now, it was that bearing i mentioned earlier, car does feel a little different, maybe cuz ive been driving a yukon since the clutch went out, im mostly broke, but at least my car works

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)