Clutch assembly going or clutch cynlinder? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brian325i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Clutch assembly going or clutch cynlinder?

Hey all, it's been quite a while since my 95' 325i has had any problems but I think my clutch may be starting to die. Sometimes when I push the clutch pedal in from stopped position, the pedal feels like something is pushing up on the clutch in a tapping fashion. This only has happened when I'm stopped at a light and I press in the pedal to shift into first. Sometimes I can feel it slightly from 1st to 2nd but it's harder to tell when the car is moving. When this resistance happens the clutch sometimes feels like it's slipping but I can accelerate normally and it doesn't slip at all in the other gears. Other than that the clutch feels fine and grabs on fine. This probably only happens 50% of the time because other times it feels fine and I can't feel that resistance pushing on the pedal. I searched the e36 forums for clutch problems but I didn't see any posts similar to my problem. I'm assuming it's something related to the clutch because it's coming from the clutch pedal. I'm just not sure if it's the whole clutch assembly going or if this might be a clutch cylinder problem. I haven't noticed any fluids on the ground but then again I park in different spots in my apartment complex. The car has 132k miles on it and I'm pretty sure the clutch assembly was replaced just before I got it at 98k. However, I'm not positive that it was replaced. If it wasn't, I guess this would be normal for my clutch to go out right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Best test, find a steep hill/slope, engage 2nd and pull away if it slips new clutch plate required, if it pulls away fine then it will be down to the cylinder.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian325i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok, I did the downhill slope test into 2nd and it didn't slip at all but the pedal still vibrates when I press down or release. My shifter goes into each gear just fine so I kind of ruled out the possibility of a cylinder problem. The vibrating makes it seem like it's slipping when I'm almost all the way up but when I fully release the pedal it grabs on just fine. My brake/clutch fluids should be fine because they bled out the fluid when they fixed my front brakes in 2007.

I saw an old post that talked about "kangarooing" and that kind of had the same symptoms. The guy said it felt like his clutch pedal was going to throw him into the windshield that it was so strong. The vibrating I'm feeling from the pedal isn't that strong but very noticable. I'm thinking the clutch is on its way out but it's not really slipping as far as I can tell..
#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Ah, the test is UP hill not down.

STOP on the hill not rolling put in 2nd and try and pull away with the hand brake fully on, it should stall/stop the engine or the clutch will start slipping.

Make sure to find a steep hill not just a slope.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 06-07-2009 at 06:05 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
n00b

khmermafia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian325i View Post
Hey all, it's been quite a while since my 95' 325i has had any problems but I think my clutch may be starting to die. Sometimes when I push the clutch pedal in from stopped position, the pedal feels like something is pushing up on the clutch in a tapping fashion. This only has happened when I'm stopped at a light and I press in the pedal to shift into first. Sometimes I can feel it slightly from 1st to 2nd but it's harder to tell when the car is moving. When this resistance happens the clutch sometimes feels like it's slipping but I can accelerate normally and it doesn't slip at all in the other gears. Other than that the clutch feels fine and grabs on fine. This probably only happens 50% of the time because other times it feels fine and I can't feel that resistance pushing on the pedal. I searched the e36 forums for clutch problems but I didn't see any posts similar to my problem. I'm assuming it's something related to the clutch because it's coming from the clutch pedal. I'm just not sure if it's the whole clutch assembly going or if this might be a clutch cylinder problem. I haven't noticed any fluids on the ground but then again I park in different spots in my apartment complex. The car has 132k miles on it and I'm pretty sure the clutch assembly was replaced just before I got it at 98k. However, I'm not positive that it was replaced. If it wasn't, I guess this would be normal for my clutch to go out right now?
buy a 318is flywheel (heavy but strong for daily drives) and a after market clutch (last you for 3 years+) I DID IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)