Clutch Acting Up - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
Hey Guyz,

Problem: My clutch does not engage until its pressed half way (seems like there is play)... What is it? kinda scared as i m tight with money...

So last night I got home late and parked the car.. when going to work this morning, i press the clutch in to start the car and it did not respond until i pressed half way in and then I felt some kinda resistance...
since i had to go to work, i kept driving... shifting and everything was fine, jus that now i have very little clutch to play with... meaning i have to be very careful when shifting otherwise the car would stall...

after i drove like 12 miles and almost at work, the clutch was fine again... meaning no play...
What can be the problem? Should I be expecting a big expense soon?
Also, my brake fluid resorvoir is below mininum level... just thought i mention it even though it might not be related....

thanx guyz in advance for any help or suggestions...
funtoos..

Now looking for an M3
funtoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
fill up the resevoir and see what happens...
Old 10-20-2004, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Do you know where the reservoir is for the clutch? n what kinda fluid do i put in?

thanx,
funtoos

Now looking for an M3
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Ding is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Ding Send a message via AIM to Ding Send a message via MSN to Ding Send a message via Yahoo to Ding
Quote:
Originally posted by funtoos@Oct 20 2004, 09:19 AM
Do you know where the reservoir is for the clutch? n what kinda fluid do i put in?

thanx,
funtoos
[snapback]214701[/snapback]
its shared with the brake, but don't worry if you have a leak in the clutch it takes from a higher point so you can be out of clutch fluid and the brakes will still work, sunday morning i jumped i n my car and pressed the petal and then it stuck to the floor and wouldn't come up, but thats because there is a spring to make it softer, ( anyone know if i can remove that), i thought i blew a line, but it was just the slave or release cinlyder, which ever you call it, 80 dollar part so i'm up and running again, check for leaks below your car, i doubt you have the same problem but maybe.
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via ICQ to Ding Send a message via AIM to Ding Send a message via MSN to Ding Send a message via Yahoo to Ding
Quote:
Originally posted by funtoos@Oct 20 2004, 09:19 AM

thanx,
funtoos
[snapback]214701[/snapback]
its shared with the brake, but don't worry if you have a leak in the clutch it takes from a higher point so you can be out of clutch fluid and the brakes will still work, sunday morning i jumped i n my car and pressed the petal and then it stuck to the floor and wouldn't come up, but thats because there is a spring to make it softer, ( anyone know if i can remove that), i thought i blew a line, but it was just the slave or release cinlyder, which ever you call it, 80 dollar part so i'm up and running again, check for leaks below your car, i doubt you have the same problem but maybe.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so what you are saying is that the clutch and brake share the same reservoir????
so if i fill up the brake reservoir, i should b ok with the clutch??? my clutch problem would go away?

where should i b looking for a leak to make sure that if i fill up the reservoir it doesn't empty again in a day or two... basically i want to make a permanent fix...
any common problems with the clutch that i should b looking for???
i get really worried when it comes to clutch... i m sure a lot of you share that same feeling...

thanx again guyz...

Now looking for an M3
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by funtoos@Oct 20 2004, 12:39 PM
so what you are saying is that the clutch and brake share the same reservoir????
so if i fill up the brake reservoir, i should b ok with the clutch??? my clutch problem would go away?

where should i b looking for a leak to make sure that if i fill up the reservoir it doesn't empty again in a day or two... basically i want to make a permanent fix...
any common problems with the clutch that i should b looking for???
i get really worried when it comes to clutch... i m sure a lot of you share that same feeling...

thanx again guyz...
[snapback]214872[/snapback]
yes, yeah if that is to the max and you don't have any leaks you should be good, but it is best to get under the car and look for fluid by the clutch my slave was really wet and it was dripping, but if you don't know much about the clutch lines i would just take it in, my fix was like a hour worth or labor, so it wasn't that bad
Old 10-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks a lot Ding...
when i went back to my car after work, the clutch was completely shot... newayz, i filled up the brake fluid reservoir with more fluid, and bam everything was back to normal...
thanx again man... i will check underneath the car and even take it to the mechanic just to make sure..

Now looking for an M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)