BMW Werkz banner

Climate Control Problem

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mech9T8 
#1 ·
Climate control on my 96 328ic blows cold on the driver side only. the passenger side works fine. anyone know of a possible reason for this? do both sides use the same heater core? if so the only possible reason I can think of is a plumbing problem in the air ducts? any suggestions appreciated....

#2 ·
Funny because the company I work for makes air ducts for cars.
This is what could be happening. You mentioned that you have a '96 so I assume you have dual zone climate control. In this case 1) the sensor that detects the temperature going to the driver side is malfunctioning. 2) the baffle that mixes the air going to the driver side is stuck. 3) the actuator that controls the baffle is not working.
Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Originally posted by lxv8@Dec 13 2004, 09:27 PM
Climate control on my 96 328ic blows cold on the driver side only. the passenger side works fine. anyone know of a possible reason for this? do both sides use the same heater core? if so the only possible reason I can think of is a plumbing problem in the air ducts? any suggestions appreciated....
[snapback]249706[/snapback]​

Sounds like your heater valve is bad. This routes hot water to the core. there is a single valve, but it controls the water on either side. :idea2

#5 ·
i think you might have the little selector on cold. under the main vent on the bottom right should be a red/blue selector. if it is on blue, then only cold air will be allowed to come through that vent. it confused me at first all you have to do is turn it to the red and hot air should come out. I hope your problem is this simple to fix......good luck

#6 ·
No it is not the selector on the middle vent it is on the red side and the air is still cold also the air doesnt come out warm on the other driver vent either. Where can i find the the actutaor and the tempature sensor so that i can diagnose this problem.

#7 ·
Don't know for sure.
The temp sensor is somewhere on the duct.
The actuator would be on the HVAC case.
All of that stuff is behind the dash.

#9 ·
The heater control valve on the passenger side?
That's weird because you said you said the passenger side was working.
Well at least you got it fixed. Did you do it yourself? If so it would be nice if you wrote up a DIY for other members on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.