Clicking In The Transmission When Cold - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stil6421 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stil6421
(Thread Starter)
I generally will not drive my car until it is properly warmed up, but in some cases I have no choice. I have a '94 325is automatic. When it is really cold (below freezing) the transmission makes a clicking noise that increases with speed. It goes away when the car warms up. Is this a hint at a major problem that is about to occur, or no big deal as long as I warm up the car?

Logan

The car also has 160,000 miles on it, I'm pretty sure that has a large part in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
[you might have develop a small transmission leak, and with time some fluid got out..
reason i say that is because ATF fluid expands and contracts a lot with temperature, so you just lost enought fluid that when is cold out there, it contracts and so the tranny is missing some..
bmw tranny is supposed to be lifetim, but is not..

because of the mileage,, i would recommend changing the pan gaskets, filter and atf oil.

go to www.pelicanparts.com they sell the parts and have the procedure posted there with pics..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
I agree, and when you take the sump pans off, the larger one has a magnet attatched to the bottom, you can see if there are any metal shavings stuck to it, which would obviously be bad

#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by stil6421@Jan 21 2005, 12:41 AM
I generally will not drive my car until it is properly warmed up, but in some cases I have no choice. I have a '94 325is automatic. When it is really cold (below freezing) the transmission makes a clicking noise that increases with speed. It goes away when the car warms up. Is this a hint at a major problem that is about to occur, or no big deal as long as I warm up the car?

Logan

The car also has 160,000 miles on it, I'm pretty sure that has a large part in it.
[snapback]275952[/snapback]

I have notice this problem since 2 years ago, only in deep freeze temperature (-5 C or below) does my auto tranny make the noice but it goes away. I have'nt had any problems with my tranny but.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM
n00b

oe_tuning is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore@Jan 22 2005, 05:37 AM
I agree, and when you take the sump pans off, the larger one has a magnet attatched to the bottom, you can see if there are any metal shavings stuck to it, which would obviously be bad
[snapback]276313[/snapback]
what does it mean if we have metal shavings stuck to it??

and where dud those metal come from?

thx
#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by oe_tuning+Jan 21 2005, 09:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oe_tuning @ Jan 21 2005, 09:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bitcore@Jan 22 2005, 05:37 AM
[snapback]276313[/snapback]
what does it mean if we have metal shavings stuck to it??

and where dud those metal come from?

thx
[snapback]276425[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Dont worry,m you wont see bick metal pieces stuck to that, but in case you do see something like that, then the trannu is about to go,..
What you will see on the magnet is a brwon goo stuck to it. all that good is made off is very little metal particles that wear out of the tranny components form normal use, dont forget parts move and so it creates friction, friction in turn wears metal, and that is what gets stuck ti the magnet.. the magnet is put in there to prevent those little particles form clogging the filter prematurely..

This is normal, as long it has a brownish goo appereance.. if you have big pieces stuck to it, then is not right..

but make sure you go and do the precedure described on the pelican website,, change all the gaskets on the tranny, filter, and fluid. dont be shy..
have a good one,.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:34 PM
n00b

Peach is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem sometimes. I still think it's early morning oil pressure or valve tapping. It goes away in a minute or so. Still trying to investiagte before losing the engine!

If it was an oxegen sensor you would probably smell gas and the Check Engine light would go on because the sensor is related to the emissions system.

Mr. Peach

1998 M3 Sedan Alpine White Automatic
1998 318i Sedan Silver Automatic
1966 Porsche 912
#8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:31 AM
n00b

stil6421 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stil6421
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Peach@Jan 22 2005, 12:34 AM
I have the same problem sometimes. I still think it's early morning oil pressure or valve tapping. It goes away in a minute or so. Still trying to investiagte before losing the engine!

If it was an oxegen sensor you would probably smell gas and the Check Engine light would go on because the sensor is related to the emissions system.
[snapback]276553[/snapback]
I know for a fact it is the transmission, because when you put your hand on the shifter, you can feel it.

Thanks, for all the help from everyone.

Logan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)