BMW Werkz banner

Chip Made My Car Slower

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SpooldUp 
#1 ·
Ok here is the problem. I have a 93 318is and i got the Conforti Chip for it. Problem was that i was the lucky 5% that had a soldered in chip to the board. No big deal i brought it to a very reputable tuner that unsoldered the old one and resoldered in the new one. Ran the car on 94 octance. Car ran perfecto! haha. Instantly noticed the power increase and the power band was remapped it seemed and very smooth. Problem was i actually started noticing a decrease in power in the next week or so. And when the car shifts to 3rd it actually doesnt rev up in the rpms at around 4k it just stays in the same spot or almost seems to drop. Totally insane never has done this before. I ran it in the quarter mile at 18.5 which i am positive the stock chip would be faster. I could tell cause when the car shifted the rpms didnt raise they just stayed at 4k and even dropped a little. Is there a way to remap the ecu now with the new chip? thats what my buddy said who had his STI's ecu flashed that i might need to remap mine. So any input on this would be greatly appreciated....

PS... Please dont comment that since i have a 318is auto that its not gonna run 15's and that its not an M3. I know that, im not retarded hahaha. But what im really wondering is if I damaged my ecu or if it is possible to remap it with the new setup.

#2 ·
ahhh heres the thing, performance chips arent going to give you an extremely huge boost in performance enought that the quarter mile times are gonna be a drastic change... as for the performance i cant be certain , very well could be realated to the new chip, or maybe you have just gotten used to the new feel yoru best bet is to contact tunermotorsports and see what they think may be the problem and if it is the chip, if they dont mind exchanging for a non-defective,and i know its a pain in the ass but if you continue to see a downward spiral of performance i would put in the original chip to see if that makes the car run decent again.

#6 ·
Auto but yea i dont even think thats the problem it seems as if the chip isnt working the same. When i got it in first it changed the way the rpms would raise from start instead of reving and then power kicking in at around 3500 it would have a continuous band. I dont know its hard to explain on here the differences but my friend who drove the car before, right after, and weeks after installing the chip knows the differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.