BMW Werkz banner

Check Light And Check Engine Light

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  93 325i 
#1 ·
whats the difference?

#2 ·
"Check" light goes on for OBC fault codes ie- tailights out, brakes light bulbs out,etc..

"Check engine" light is for OBD fault codes ie- O2 sensor, Maf sensor, etc.. car 95 and older you can retrieve these codes with the gas pedal method. 96 and newer cars have to be read with a code reader to find out the problem

#3 ·
ive tried the gas pedal method a million times and have never got it to work, is it cause my obc is constantly flashing brake light circuit?

#4 ·
Check engine = somehting wrong with your engine, use an obd2 scan to see what is wrong.

Check control = something elese is wrong, hit the "check" button and it will tell you what's wrong.

#7 ·
thanx 93 325i...
this might sound stupid, but what does hitting the gas pedal do? where do i see the codes? do i have to get a code reader and plug it somewhere? perhaps in the hood where the oil reset light is?

thanx

#8 ·
If your car is a 95 or older hitting the gas pedal 5 times initiates the fault code sequence. Turn the ignition key to "on" but not starting the car(it's the notch just before starting your car). Hit the pedal 5 times quickly and the "Check Enigine" will start a series of flashes. Record these flashes: Example
Flash(pause), Flash Flash(pause), Flash Flash(pause), Flash(pause)
1 - 2 - 2 - 1

According to the chart- code 1221=Oxygen Sensor #1 might be faulty

If your car is 96 and newer you have to buy a scan tool or have it read by a mechanic to find out what's wrong..

#9 ·
thanx again...
if my car is behaving properly (meaning no check engine light or obc lights are on when i m driving), should i still do this check? or will i end up worrying myself over nothing by doing this? i was thinking about doing this as a preventive measure... what are yer thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.